Extra battery or Replace Battery (need help)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahoe02

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i turned down the gain and now it doesnt dim the lights that much but still a lil bit when i turn the sw up

rigo_jones

going against
Reaction score
:worship: Eagle u the man. thanks for the info, im probably going with a bigger alternator. big ending with the GI Joe video lol.

OP
OP
ROBERTOcritser

ROBERTOcritser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so your sayin my amp is bad, maybe? also I still havent found out what the Big 3 upgrade is....

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well , ican;t say brother. that is the problem. I can point out some checks for you to do, and If it were here, I could figure it out in about 20 minutes.

I don't even know what amp you have to state, 'yeah, that one has insufficient capacitance' or what size wiring you have used (hopefully 2ga or 0 ga.)

big 3:

upgrading the wire from the alternator to the battery, battery to ground and engine block to ground. (note that he second one isn;t even IN the amp's electron flow path).

6019f31b.gif

Young28

The Yukon God
Reaction score
he has a jl 1000 1 v1. stated in his first post. IIRC the 1000 / 1 only does 4 ga wire
btw you are full of good info.

Eagle

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok, here is a question then, & sorry for missing that key info previously. the slash series are current hungry mothers... always have been.
If you have 2 0hm subs, or DVC 4 ohm subs it might be wired to a 1 ohm load instead of 4 ohm. That would CERTAINLY cause an increase in current consumption as it would be very very inefficient.
like wise if it were wired to 8 ohms instead of 2 ohms, you;d be running excessive gain to make up for the <correct> lack of output.

What is the impedence being presented to the amp?

8 ohm? 6 ohm? 4ohm? 3ohm? 2 ohm? 1ohm? 0.5 ohm (DMM across the two wires while NOT connected to the amp)

remember the 1000 1 is only 1.5 ohm stable at best (and 4 ohm is far better, while 2 ohm is also just fine). The RIPS technology means they are current hungry mother-funkers...
That is the price you pay for not having to worry (as much) about impedance matching.

Last edited:

Eagle

Supporting Member
Reaction score
NO problem...

are you sure you have "REAL" 4 ga and not 6 ga in a 4ga sheath? There is a LOT of that going around?

Single 12w7? or two? Single you should be fine...

OP
OP
ROBERTOcritser

ROBERTOcritser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
single W7 it should be wired straight from the factory which I think is either 1.5 ohms or 3 but Im really not sure what ohm load its at right now but Ill try to find out for sure. and it should be true 4ga. I really cant be sure myself but Im very close to getting 0ga wiring kit. I know the 1000/1 only takes 4ga but thats something else I wanted to ask you about.... the car audio store Ive been talkin to says you can make 0ga go down to 4ga.... its a big Memphis 0ga wiring kit with all kinds of stuff (17ft 0awg wire, RCA's and some weird blocks... they said they were I think distribution blocks and something that makes 0awg funnel down to 4awg and some other weird blocks) I guess it is possible to use 0awg wire on a 4awg hole isnt it?

BTW I kinda wish I did have 2 W7's haha but that would be pretty overkill. I'm really trying to get this straightened out so I can put another amp in there for my high's and I really dont wanna run door speakers that dont require an amp cuz I think they will get better sound. Plus Ive already bought a pair JL C2 6.5's to go up front. I just wanna get this figured out before I start puttin more of a load on my system.

lastly, I kinda plan on having pretty much everything JL cuz from what Ive experienced, I think they have great products, even if it is pricey. I feel I can trust whatever else they make. (If they made a deck, Id prolly end up getting it haha)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnaolo