Fosscore's 2006 Tahoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at that new hood...

Been debating on the HD hood or going with the ZL1 styled hood personally

Thx man. The HD hood is pretty badass, but that ZL1 would sure make a statement.

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I officially surrender to you :emotions133:

You da man! Cleanest NBS on the site-no contest :hail:

Thank you sir. Appreciate the compliments. It was just too good to be true and could not be passed up. Details with pictures in next post. @OHSIXX

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My HD Hood is done!!

Figured I do a little write up from acquisition to install, which took about 1 month. Thanksgiving to Christmas 2015.

Here is the thread put together by Young28 with all the specific model and year info that you need to know regarding the HD hood for your Tahoe or Yukon. http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/hd-hood-swap.54958/

The day before Thanksgiving I found a posting online at one of the junkyards in Hialeah (aka Cuban Town) in southeast Miami for a 2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD. I jumped in the work Suburban and drove down to the first yard about 45 minutes away. I walked around the yard with the forklift driver who knew where every truck was. They were all confused about what HD hood I was after, even after I had called to confirm its existence before I drove to the yard. No luck.

The smaller yard next door had a completely mismatched 2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD body with a rusted hood that had just come in. I almost gave it a miss, but decided to go have a look since I was there. The owner of the yard walked me directly to the truck as he had just bought it a few days earlier. The hood was completely rusted over, but it turned out to only be surface rust. There was a small rust blister underneath the heat shield, which is in perfect shape for a 2002. I ran my hand all over the top of the hood and it felt and looked in great shape. No wrinkles or massive dents indicating a crash or otherwise.

The owner wanted $50 for the hood. I offered him $40. I still cannot believe it! They even took it off the truck and loaded it into the Suburban for me with a smile. It was all I could do to contain my excitement right there after scoring that HD hood for so cheap. I know he did not even realize the value of what that hood means to guys like us.

When I showed the hood to my wife initially on my phone, she said she liked the one I already had and why did I need another hood? Because it's an HD hood woman!! Don't you know that? ssheeesh...So when I brought it home from the junk yard and asked her to help me dry fit it, I was able to properly show her why the HD hood was just more aggressive and sexy at the same time. She finally understood. She likes the "chunky" look of that front end and rise from the sides to the crease.

Now it was time to spend the money saved on the actual purchase and get it painted. I ordered up a quart of Dark Ming Blue Metallic paint ($100) from automotivetouchup.com and dropped off the hood for prep work at the painters. One week later after the paint arrived, the hood already had 5 coats of primer, the corrosion was gone and a couple small dings on top were faired in. It already looked good in grey primer.

I came back the next week and they had used the entire quart on the underside of the hood. They needed another quart, but hey that meant the topcoat was going on heavy. So I ordered up another quart ($100) and waited another week for it to arrive. I dropped that quart off and waited for the final product. When I returned to pick up the hood just before Christmas, the boys had seriously sorted me out with some extra detail work. They hit the top side with the entire second quart of paint and put 6 coats of clear on. They only charged me $300 for all the labor and materials. Final HD hood cost all in was $540. No complaints considering they didn't charge me at all for the last color matching project I dropped off to them.

Here are the pics from rust to install. Aggressive and Sexy. Super stoked!!

IMG_5403.JPG IMG_5429.JPG IMG_5460.JPG IMG_5461.JPG IMG_5463.JPG

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the hinges, springs and bolts off as well. Gave them a quick sand and wire brush as needed and fresh coats of paint. The springs got 4 coats of matte black while the hinges got 2 coats of primer, 4 coats of topcoat and 3 coats of clear. They turned out pretty nice and look much better than the rusty state they were in from before the swap. You don't realize how bad it looks until it gets cleaned up and that fresh coat of paint goes on.

The underside of the hood got the royal treatment as well with a full corrosion look over, small area ground out, heavy primer, topcoat and clear. The heat shield is in excellent condition, maybe just needs a clean, but for the moment I am admiring the nice paintwork under there without the heat shield in place.

IMG_5889.JPGIMG_5947.JPG IMG_5430.JPG
IMG_5427.JPG

IMG_5926.JPG

Last edited:

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice!!! And nicely done on freshening up the hinges while you were at it!!

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Fosscore

That is one helluva story......I would have second guessed that hood...still can't believe that was all surface rust....you should have just rocked that rat rod look IMO j/k. I cannot believe the transformation of your rig to now. Totally jelly but you deserve it. I love black vehicles but that blue is on point! Congrats! Take good care of her....enjoy :happy160:

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
@Fosscore

That is one helluva story......I would have second guessed that hood...still can't believe that was all surface rust....you should have just rocked that rat rod look IMO j/k. I cannot believe the transformation of your rig to now. Totally jelly but you deserve it. I love black vehicles but that blue is on point! Congrats! Take good care of her....enjoy :happy160:
You could have rocked that rat rod look for a bit. It looked awsome. The final product is amazing Great find and great clean up job. Hope I can find one soon now that a buddy bought a wrecking yard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsheyden10

Latest posts