Front Dash Crack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RickyFriery97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 2007 NNBS tahoe with the exact same two cracks everyone is talking about,
i bout it used in august of 2010 with 38k on it and it had both cracks when i bought it
im going to talk to a dealership about it, i really want this fixed but not out of my pocket,
my parents have a 2010 yukon with i think less then 20k on it with no cracks but im sure it just a matter of time before it cracks...

2005yukonxl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
u bought it a year ago with 38k miles...was out of warranty then....and now its way out of warranty and you think the dealer is going to do anything? u should have done it as a condition of sale back last year, they could have good will repaired it...but aint no one going to do it now this late...

RickyFriery97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
u bought it a year ago with 38k miles...was out of warranty then....and now its way out of warranty and you think the dealer is going to do anything? u should have done it as a condition of sale back last year, they could have good will repaired it...but aint no one going to do it now this late...

its under a extended 5 year/ 100k mile warranty

rjnkajun

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
try to find others in your area if your local dealership wont help u.. if u see a tahoe in the parking lot someplace look at its dash take photos leave a number. GET together and go to a dealweship one at a time eventually they will crack NO PUN INTENDED! we had a few guys fromt eh New Orleans area that was willing to go all at once but we happened to find a dealership willing to fix the GM FK UP! dont stop untill they fix it!

04ctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
! dont stop untill they fix it!

how many miles/years out were you?

I think the dash is being used as a "strength member"
in other words, when you go over a diagonal road bump,

the left front tire jams up, and causes "cowl shake" which is where the cowl area takes the brunt of the impact, because our trucks do not have Strut Tower Braces to share the impacts from side to side.

i think the Dash does not have room to wiggle, and it breaks at the weakest points: around the airbag (thin) and around the display hump.

if you have ever ridden in a convertible, and crossed train tracks that are diagonal, you can usually see the cowl/dash move around.
the dashes in the GM Camaro's had the same problem.

maybe it's saving weight by having a too flimsy firewall, and the dash is taking the load instead of the firewall?

it's just a poor design by some young engineers at GM who have not been in the industry long enough to know about cowl shake and torsional rigidity

Srbucy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Same Problem Fleet Vehicle

I have a 2007 Denali that is 1 of 6 all purchased from the same dealership in San Antonio,TX. Mine developed the crack about a week or two ago. Mine has 47k on it so I knew the warranty was a no go. I had originally called to get a purchase order for a door handle. That broke. Our fleet guy called me back and said out of the 6 in our fleet. He has had 8 door handles replaced. I then mentioned the dashboard crack. He was hopping mad about the door handle already. I guess I would be too considering we spent some $300k on 6 vehicles.

He has not seen any cracks in the other vehicles. However he told me to prepare for a fight at the dealership. I took it to the dealership here in Vegas. Talked to the Service Manager about the door handles. No problem. Free of charge. Then I showed him the cracked dash. He said he had not seen that before. However he said that if I paid the first $100. They would take care of it. Done deal.

I am impressed that with no warranty at all. They were willing to do this! Awesome service!!

I then called back my corporate fleet guy. He couldn't believe it. He took the other 5 denali's to the dealer that they were purchased from and they would only bear 50% of the costs on the door handles. He is afraid to see if anything will be done if any more of the Denali's in Texas develop this dashboard issue.

Seems very inconsistent. But now it sounds like since the service is so good in Vegas. He will be purchasing our next 30 or so vehicles we get a year from the Las Vegas GMC dealer!

CBFHTOWN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same issue on a 2008 Yukon with a crack in the dash right behind the airbag. I just recently purchased it used. I was initially wary that it was the airbag that had deployed in an unreported wreck causing the crack(no CarFax issues). However I've been in the collision business for years and the body/frame is mint. No repairs or I would have noticed...

Now I'm starting to get the idea this is a common problem and can let out a little sigh of relief. Fortunately it's under warranty and they are replacing the entire dash.

mturnerua

Reaction score
I just had the dash of my 07 Tahoe LTZ with 111K crack above the airbag a few weeks ago. I got GM customer service's number from Elizabeth on here. She said to take it to the dealer and see what they say. They said there was no bulletin, hadn't seen it before, blah blah blah. I asked for a quote and said I had been in contact with GM. They quoted my $721 plus tax. I told Elizabeth who had me contact GM and they took my info and sent it to the customer assistance center. A few days later I received a call from the district manager who told me they had seen it frequently on Silverados but not as much on Tahoes. He said something about they had been replacing them free on Silverados with less than 70 or 80k miles on them. He said for me they would cover the cost of the parts if I would cover the labor. He said it would be about $237. So I guess I'll do it and try to have it done next week.

oakland0830

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I took my 2008 Yukon Denali into the dealership this morning to talk about my dash crack...This is the second time it has crack and its in the same position. My service guy looked at the truck and said it was not a problem to fix the dash since they have already changed it one. I mention about how hot it is here in AZ and if that was what was causing the crack and he said that it is due to the design of the dash and also the material, He also mentioned that hopefully these newer dash are build with stronger material so this problem doesn't keep occuring...He told me he would call me later today, and i just received a call saying that they could replace the dash on Monday, unfortunately i can't take it till Wednesday but as long as they fix it....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2024 Tahoe Brian