Fuel efficiency drop in newer models ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get about 32 with the cruise at 60 or so, on level ground. 2022 5.3 Tahoe, 4x4.
I am not sure I believe that...you have the distance set at 25 miles, so computer calculating your BEST 25 mile score and your AVG over the last 25 miles driven.
Flip the page to the screen on the current drive or for Trip A, and see what the computer calculates the MPG for over 200-300 miles...
I'd be seriously impressed if your Tahoe averaged 32MPG over a 200 Mile drive...

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way Big Mama could get 28 mpg is if I was going downhill with. 60 mph tailwind and the GM optional sail package was activated. Your 2018 is incredible.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure I believe that...you have the distance set at 25 miles, so computer calculating your BEST 25 mile score and your AVG over the last 25 miles driven.
Flip the page to the screen on the current drive or for Trip A, and see what the computer calculates the MPG for over 200-300 miles...
I'd be seriously impressed if your Tahoe averaged 32MPG over a 200 Mile drive...
Agreed. No way will you get better mileage than a diesel. No way. If that is real, GM would buy that truck for a million bucks to see what magic is going on there.

PPK_

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,

We just bought a 2024 Suburban Z71 with the 5.3 and 10 speed transmission... now before I go further, I am not very concerned about fuel efficiency (otherwise we wouldn't have bought the vehicle) I am simply making observations and expressing some level of disappointment in engineering decisions that haven't benefited everyone...

Compared to the 2018 with the 5.3 and 6 speed transmission we used to have we are noting that real world fuel efficiency

- in the city is slightly better in the newer model (13mpg vs 15mpg)
- on the highway we are noticing a significant drop in fuel efficiency. On our 2018 if we drove it well we averaged 26-27 mpg whereas on the 2024, we are maxing out at about 18 mpg... (when we had the Range AFM dongle plugged in on the 2018 we still averaged about 24-25mpg...)

The low-end torque was also honestly better with the 2018 with the 6-speed transmission.

The official ratings (from fueleconomy.gov) are definitely supportive of our observations that the outgoing models were better in fuel efficiency.

No change in Tow ratings vs the outgoing model

I loved the 6-speed and it was easy to service and maintain (relatively easily dropping pan, change filter, change fluid, monitor via dipstick). The 10-speed's oil pan is right under the exhaust and looks like both the driver and passenger side manifolds have to be undone to even drop the pan.

I don't see any articles or discussion over this. Being in the engineer profession myself, I am not seeing a better "Figure of merit" with the new technology. Hopefully somebody can educate me on what I am missing.
i think mpg is worse.. if you are comparing E10 to E10 after '22... e10 is now actually E15.. current administration helped out the farmers upping the mix to 15%.... even though the tank says is it is 10%...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Green66