Fuel Pressure PSI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diezelraccoon

Reaction score
I have an 03 Tahoe with the 5.3. I posted another thread about how when it gets to 1/4 tank or lower after sitting several hours it sometimes takes a couple extras cranks before it fires up. Someone had mentioned to check the fuel pressure. The readings are as follows.

46 psi when key was on but engine off.
42 psi with engine running
42 psi after engine was off

My question is are these normal ratings? If not, does that mean the fuel pump is getting weak and could be what is causing my issue and needs to be replaced?

Last edited:

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure looks like the fuel pump is done. They typically drag the death process out forever and just get worse and worse and cause all kinds of problems like rough running, hard to start, running lean, stalling and on and on. They ALWAYS wait until you completely fill the tank and are out in the middle of nowhere to finally die. They are evil! The devil's spawn!!!!

OP
OP
D

diezelraccoon

Reaction score
Oh, definitely low then, based on @Fless post above...

You can temporarily disconnect the return fuel hose and cap the line, then prime the system to see what the most static pressure head the pump can deliver.
So I’m a bit confused. I opened the fuel door and there is this sticker. Is that just some standard sticker they put in all of them flex fuel or not?IMG_8943.jpeg

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I’m a bit confused. I opened the fuel door and there is this sticker. Is that just some standard sticker they put in all of them flex fuel or not?View attachment 436811
Interesting. Yeah, that seems like flex fuel label. Are you the original owner of this truck?

Can you post a photo of the injectors? The L59 are visually different than those from the non flex-fuel variants.

Things get swapped over the years and ownership. Possibly engine, glovebox or fuel door are not original?

For example:
On my 99 Silverado I swapped the engine from a V6 to an L59, transmission from a 4L60e to a 4L80e, and last year I deleted to center console to a jumpseat (including the glovebox with another truck's RPO code label.) I did keep my old glovebox, and I was going to swap the lid, but even then, stuff doesn't match exactly. LoL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukekuhner369