Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I figured I'd copy it here to keep this thread somewhat alive.

I can't settle on what I wanna wrap it in! I could get the original style corrugated stuff. But, I'm kinda leaning towards matching that mesh I used on my Big 5 wire upgrade. Summit has some split mesh wrap that would probably match pretty well. I'm just not so sure about it in the bends. Being a more flexible split style, it tends to wrinkle. I don't wanna have a bunch of zip-ties all over it. Whatever I use, I only wanna do it once.
Summit also has the underhood tape for the loom, not electrical. That's what I picked out but have not bought it yet. Too hot now, will have to wait for fall or winter.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took pics to document here in case someone wanted to know a relatively easy way to get them grommets on the bolt tubes.

Lube the grommet with a tiny bit of oil and stick it in the box end of a 12mm wrench:

View attachment 367045

Push the bolt tube into the grommet while rolling it in a circular motion. You might wanna use an 8mm socket on a 1/4" ratchet for easier/more comfortable handling. Held here with one hand so I could take the pic:

View attachment 367046

It'll eventually snap into place. Remove it from the wrench and push the grommet the rest of the way on:

View attachment 367047

Popping them into the valve cover is really easy. Just put the bolt all the way through the hole, grab the end and pull it while rotating in a circular motion until the inside/bottom side tip of the grommet is all the way in. I forgot to take a pic of this, but you can refer to yours before you remove it to see how it looks when fully seated.

You f~cker!!! Where was this when I needed it!!?? You know how many of those bastards I ripped? Even with lube? That wrench trick is the ticket! You the man!

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I needed my Tahoe back on the road and kinda lost the last of my fcuks to give. So I put it back together as-is. I did measure all the zero lash points, though. I eyeballed 'em down to the 1/8 turns, so within ~.00625". Most were checked twice over the past week of doing this. Here are the results:

View attachment 367040

Test.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You f~cker!!! Where was this when I needed it!!?? You know how many of those bastards I ripped? Even with lube? That wrench trick is the ticket! You the man!

I fought the ones on my bro's truck for a hot minute. This time around, my fat ass was already seated so I used what was within arm's reach, which was the bottom drawer of my road trip tool box, full of wrenches. I tried a couple different methods but had it down on the third or fourth.

There's probably a vid of an even easier trick to it on YouTube, but I've already got mine done and I'm too lazy to look it up.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fought the ones on my bro's truck for a hot minute. This time around, my fat ass was already seated so I used what was within arm's reach, which was the bottom drawer of my road trip tool box, full of wrenches. I tried a couple different methods but had it down on the third or fourth.

There's probably a vid of an even easier trick to it on YouTube, but I've already got mine done and I'm too lazy to look it up.
Well I love your way so let it be written in the bible.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Transmission received.

Welp, I was very attractively drawn to your post I quoted, how you slipped the f bomb through the new age, do all good and no wrong, choking bad word filters and LOVED the "kinda lost the last of my fcuks to give" way you spelled it.

So I tried to enhance it by posting f-c-u-k-e-r, and it got blocked like this: ******

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsheyden10

Latest posts