Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slipped my light and phone up above the tank to see what the fuel supply QD situation looked like:

View attachment 397223

The alcohol sensor looks like this:

View attachment 397224

To not make any permanent modifications to the fuel system in case I need to revert, I'm thinking of making two adapter hoses out of Nylon or PTFE (whatever the factory "plastic" fuel line is made of). One will have a female QD on each end and the other will have a female QD and male QD. I'll mount the sensor in a reasonably accessible but safe location as close as possible to the "splice". The hoses will be in a loop formation with the sensor in the middle. Pretty much the exact idea that the kits use with the AN fittings locating the whole shebang alongside the left bank fuel rail. Or, if it'll be easier and just as clean, I might put the sensor near the firewall, splicing into the rail inlet. The wiring would be way easier and shorter with this option. I'll have to go pop the hood and stare for a while.
I vote near the firewall so if I go that route, I won't have to lay on the ground to steal your hard work and ideas.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vote near the firewall so if I go that route, I won't have to lay on the ground to steal your hard work and ideas.

Dammit. You just reminded me what I wanted to do when I got home this evening. I wanted to take inventory of my fuel system QD adapters and stare at the firewall area for a bit. Looks like I'm headed to the shop in my pjs.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Slight update, the P1174 code, that I was getting every time the truck was driven, hasn't reared it's ugly head since replacing the O2 sensors. That makes me smile, but only slightly.

I haven't checked the E% since fueling up the other day but will check it before fueling up again and report back.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like I'm headed to the shop in my pjs.

IMHO there is nothing better in the world sometimes than doing that. I just got done doing that myself. Especially this time of night, feels so at peace out there and gratifying. Even feels a little naughty, like sneaking out in the middle of the night on Xmas to see if the presents are under the tree.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Preliminary ideas-

The QDs I have fit great on the fuel rail. Even the safety lock fits:

IMG_5403.JPG

The factory feed line at the firewall goes from hard pipe to an ~8" section of flex hose that snaps to the fuel rail. I could disconnect the flex hose from the rail and connect it directly to the sensor inlet. Then, just make up one hose with two female QDs to connect the sensor outlet to the fuel rail. There are 90° options for the QDs if needed for better routing. With this, I'm limited to put the sensor wherever I can aim that ~8" piece of factory flex hose.

The other idea is all the same, but using a male QD-to-hose barb to make an extension for the factory flex hose for more freedom in locating the sensor. I wanna minimize connections and keep it as clean as possible, so I'll likely do as described above.

Or, I'll put the sensor near the tank, utilizing that connection in the same manner, to keep everything hidden under the car and safer in case of a leak. I don't know why I'm so concerned about a leak- I'm the aśshole driving around with nothing but a 15-year-old plastic cap holding back 50+ psi fuel from spraying all over the engine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO there is nothing better in the world sometimes than doing that. I just got done doing that myself. Especially this time of night, feels so at peace out there and gratifying. Even feels a little naughty, like sneaking out in the middle of the night on Xmas to see if the presents are under the tree.

Back when that valve spring broke, I couldn't wait to diagnose it so instead of getting in bed, I made a U-turn and headed to the garage. I was out there at 11PM in my boxers taking the valve cover off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jchavez95

Latest posts