Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sooo... I don't like the idea of the plastic locking ring on the fuel rail inlet. Also, all Dorman could tell me about the fitting is that they've "been tested up to 15% ethanol on long running trials". The fittings have Viton O-rings which is fine. But I was trying to ascertain the particular "plastic" the body is made of. I really think they'd be fine, but I'm not willing to risk anything on it. So, I dug around more and ran across this:

61cehVQWP8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It's a stainless braided (Teflon?) hose for a GTO, designed as an upgraded direct replacement for the factory part. There are two part numbers, #651120 and #651121 that have identical specs. One is for the LS1 GTO and the other for the LS2. I emailed Russell asking for clarification. It may just be a difference in length and I asked them for those specs as they're not listed anywhere. I think this would be a clean, plug-and-play solution with OEM-style connections. I'd get some extra fuel line clips to have them on all the connections. I'd probably fab up a sheet metal bracket to use one of the studs on the upper bellhousing bolts so I'd just have to get a metric nut to attach it. For wiring, I'll either run my own circuit or, since I don't like extra unused/abandoned wires and plugs, I may repurpose the AFM VLOM circuit since it's conveniently right there at the firewall. Just cut off the VLOM plug and splice the Ethanol sensor harness to three of the wires, then repin accordingly at the PCM. No additional wiring and it'll all be like a factory design.

The pondering and research continues...

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sooo... I don't like the idea of the plastic locking ring on the fuel rail inlet. Also, all Dorman could tell me about the fitting is that they've "been tested up to 15% ethanol on long running trials". The fittings have Viton O-rings which is fine. But I was trying to ascertain the particular "plastic" the body is made of. I really think they'd be fine, but I'm not willing to risk anything on it. So, I dug around more and ran across this:

View attachment 397294

It's a stainless braided (Teflon?) hose for a GTO, designed as an upgraded direct replacement for the factory part. There are two part numbers, #651120 and #651121 that have identical specs. One is for the LS1 GTO and the other for the LS2. I emailed Russell asking for clarification. It may just be a difference in length and I asked them for those specs as they're not listed anywhere. I think this would be a clean, plug-and-play solution with OEM-style connections. I'd get some extra fuel line clips to have them on all the connections. I'd probably fab up a sheet metal bracket to use one of the studs on the upper bellhousing bolts so I'd just have to get a metric nut to attach it. For wiring, I'll either run my own circuit or, since I don't like extra unused/abandoned wires and plugs, I may repurpose the AFM VLOM circuit since it's conveniently right there at the firewall. Just cut off the VLOM plug and splice the Ethanol sensor harness to three of the wires, then repin accordingly at the PCM. No additional wiring and it'll all be like a factory design.

:popcorn:

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score

View attachment 397294

Still waiting on the parts list... no rush. Keep up the good work.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 397294

Russell/Edelbrock replied: From end of straight fitting to center of 90°, the 651120 is 12 1/4" and the 651121 is 11 3/8". First off, I don't really see why it was worth making two otherwise identical flex hoses with less than an inch difference. You'd think splitting the difference and just making one 11 3/4" hose would accommodate all. Anyway, I think I should get the longer one cuz, in my Universe, stuff would fall out just so that I'd be 7/8" short if I didn't.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Russell/Edelbrock replied: From end of straight fitting to center of 90°, the 651120 is 12 1/4" and the 651121 is 11 3/8". First off, I don't really see why it was worth making two otherwise identical flex hoses with less than an inch difference. You'd think splitting the difference and just making one 11 3/4" hose would accommodate all. Anyway, I think I should get the longer one cuz, in my Universe, stuff would fall out just so that I'd be 7/8" short if I didn't.

i guarantee you some old as **** would order the wrong one and complain his bright yellow GTO with a showroom quality stock engine bay has been tainted by the extra 15/16" slack that it has provided and that he will never buy another edelbrock product for as long as they live

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pbruton89

Latest posts