Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far, I've narrowed it down to the RPMSpeed Cathedral Port MAX EFFORT Rocker Arms w/NOFLEX Bolt kit.

My reasoning in a nutśack:

1) The factory bearing design has been very well proven

2) I'm not a fan of the bronze bushings due to the softer metal and need for retaining clips

3) I don't like those known as the "upgraded factory-style"- the needle bearing designs that use the trunnion as the inner race, retained by circlips

4) I don't want anything retained by circlips as they're extra parts with the potential to fail

5) The MAX EFFORT kit uses fully captured, caged roller bearings with inner and outer races, INA brand made in U.S.A., pressed into place with no need for extra hardware to retain them and are virtually impossible to come apart
You've talked me into these.. I already had ordered the SMITH BROTHERS TRUNNION UPGRADE KIT - BRONZE BUSHING from BTR, and have it here, but after reading the details you provided, I think these are a much better option. And, new rockers as well.. bonus!

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've talked me into these.. I already had ordered the SMITH BROTHERS TRUNNION UPGRADE KIT - BRONZE BUSHING from BTR, and have it here, but after reading the details you provided, I think these are a much better option. And, new rockers as well.. bonus!

This wouldn't be the first time I've researched for someone else. :D

I really wanted to get them. But, I talked myself out of it due to cost and necessity. I'm glad I did cuz I might be buying another set of pushrods.

Walchit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need some 7.375?
I got what you need!!

View attachment 366625

It's got Brawndo, Brawndo is what a LS needs!!

View attachment 366627

If they have electrolytes, I might have to get them anyway! I see you are a fellow man of culture...
The LS7 lifters are supposed to be .050 taller or something. I need to do a bunch of research and measuring before I will know. I've read the stock ones will work. But I'd rather get this as right as I can.
The machine shop never called me at the end of the week, I was pretty bummed. It would sure suck if I had to bore this thing out to a 5.7, lol

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This wouldn't be the first time I've researched for someone else. :D

I really wanted to get them. But, I talked myself out of it due to cost and necessity. I'm glad I did cuz I might be buying another set of pushrods.
I'm really hoping I can use stock length pushrods.. that's what I have.. I need to do this quickly, before the big move.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I needed my Tahoe back on the road and kinda lost the last of my fcuks to give. So I put it back together as-is. I did measure all the zero lash points, though. I eyeballed 'em down to the 1/8 turns, so within ~.00625". Most were checked twice over the past week of doing this. Here are the results:

IMG_9450.JPG

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question: On the last three I did, which was the #6 intake rocker and both rockers of #8, those lifters would not compress. All the others, I was able to compress the lifter if I picked up too hard ón the rocker when checking for zero lash.

Ideas?

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took pics to document here in case someone wanted to know a relatively easy way to get them grommets on the bolt tubes.

Lube the grommet with a tiny bit of oil and stick it in the box end of a 12mm wrench:

IMG_9443.JPG

Push the bolt tube into the grommet while rolling it in a circular motion. You might wanna use an 8mm socket on a 1/4" ratchet for easier/more comfortable handling. Held here with one hand so I could take the pic:

IMG_9444.JPG

It'll eventually snap into place. Remove it from the wrench and push the grommet the rest of the way on:

IMG_9445.JPG

Popping them into the valve cover is really easy. Just put the bolt all the way through the hole, grab the end and pull it while rotating in a circular motion until the inside/bottom side tip of the grommet is all the way in. I forgot to take a pic of this, but you can refer to yours before you remove it to see how it looks when fully seated.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Question: On the last three I did, which was the #6 intake rocker and both rockers of #8, those lifters would not compress. All the others, I was able to compress the lifter if I picked up too hard ón the rocker when checking for zero lash.

Ideas?

I have had luck rotating the engine to get them to compress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pbruton89

Latest posts