Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoodmanOX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What should I get? Looking to upgrade the stock ones to mate up to my flowmaster exhaust and magnaflow cats.

Brandon X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a search. Headers are talked about A LOT on here, im sure you'll find everything you need.

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
As Brandon suggested, header selection has a lot to do with application usage and personal preference. What are you planning to use your vehicle for (racing, mudding, towing, daily driving, etc)? That will go a long way in helping you decide what type of header you need - something I'd consider before you get down to brand selection.

That said, I've been very happy with my mid-length Thorley headers. I use my truck as a spirited daily driver and tow rig. The Tri-Y design of the Thorleys is best suited for the vortec powerband (off-idle to redline)... Compared to the restrictive factory manifolds, I've noticed TQ/HP improvements across the board, but they REALLY shine when the rpms are above 2500. Keep in mind, that you won't notice the full effects of the headers unless the rest of your exhaust is free-flowing as well.

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

Forgot to mention... my Thorleys mated up to the stock cat positions. Everything that is needed is included in the kit - there are four welds that have to be made in total. Hope that helps.

For a fair comparison...
  • Shorties are a drop-in replacement of the factory manifolds - no exhaust modification required.
  • LTs require extensive exhaust modification and typically are not considered emissions legal because they require the cats to be removed or relocated.

yukonjon

Reaction score
Are you guys able to pass emissions with the thorley tri ys and does all the egr stuff hook right up. Wheres the cheapest place to buy them?

bai78

Surviving
Reaction score
Yes to passing emissions as well as plug and play for the egr tube.

I got mine from another forum member that was parting out his Suburban after a wreck.

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
Are you guys able to pass emissions with the thorley tri ys and does all the egr stuff hook right up. Wheres the cheapest place to buy them?
All emissions equipment is retained and I've passed with flying colors before and after I installed them. I purchased mine from Summit Racing many years ago. Part number is in my signature. They still look the same as the day I installed them - gotta love the ceramic coating.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats whats great about these headers, they are 50 state legal.
BJs Offroad was pretty cheap, thats where I got mine.

Here's a random question.
When would be the best time to install your headers?
When its cold (sitting over night)?
After a drive (to warm things up, and obviously let it cool down some)?

Thanks

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with an "up to temp drive" and letting thing cool off... might make things a little easier. Either way, I'd hit the connections with some PB Blast to make things easier. Since my truck has always been in the South, I had minimal rust to contend with - no broken bolts/studs either.