heater core ok? probably not. change my mind

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MILsYukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All,

Working on the MILs 2000 Yukon. pulled the intake manifold and of course, when i put it back on, i bumped the closest heater hose quick connect tee and snapped off the old line.

Bought a metal disconnect tool, but i dont think it engaged long enough to move the QD fingers out of the way. Seeing as how plastic connector was broken, i used some needlenose pliers to try to help pull the old broken connector off while pushing with the QD tool from the back.

Finally got the carcass of the old plastic tee off, but now looking at it, the needlenose pliers were pulling/wiggling on the aluminum heater core tube too.

Its not obviously loose, but whats the chances that i loosened up the heater core tube solder/whatever thats holding it to the core?
If i leave it alone, will it be obvious to see drips or worse?

Im now worried that ill be replacing the heater core itself (looks like real fun from the videos i saw).

thoughts?

thanks all!

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be fine. There's some play in the tubing coming from the firewall. That's normal.

But yeah, replacing the heater core on these is a nightmare. I've had my mechanic replace the heater core on my 99 Silverado (like in 2010) and my 06 Suburban (3 years ago.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MILsYukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i dont have a heater core in front of me. Are the tubes brazed/soldered on? im wondering how much pull and wiggle they can really take.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you already close it up? If not maybe you can use a garden hose to pressure test it for leaks. You should be fine though I would think.

OP
OP
M

MILsYukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
no,its not connected yet. i havent put the new plastic tee on it and im sure not taking the black one off if i dont have to.

im wondering if i can pressure test with 15 psi of air? have to see if i could actually hear an air leak.

most of you guys think im probably ok. thats surprising, but good news.

OP
OP
M

MILsYukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
got off the phone with the parts store. parts man says they arent brazed, but pressed in and crimped. wonder if that changes things?

maybe im worried about nothing

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d be more worried about replacing both tees don’t skip out on the other one. I haven’t once read anywhere on this forum about anyone breaking the tube seals on the heater core replacing these things.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dexmann1