Help Please: 2015 Yukon XL Test Drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coder

Reaction score
Eeesh, that sucks. Lots of "open" cubic space, something vibrating, causing a low frequency vibration in the cabin air pressure- Some people are more sensitive to it, than others (why some get miserably sea sick while others have never so much as felt the least bit ill). I don't know how to control that air pressure "vibration", aside from what most do to combat air pressure frequency changes; baffles. How you'd go about doing that is something I'm not sure about, aside from installing ply wood "bulkheads" between the rows of seats, but some may think that "impractical"... ;-)

I talked to one of the service guys a few weeks back while I had the tow hitch cover installed and asked about vibration and he made it seem they see it on vehicles with 22" rims. Are the ones experiencing the vibration on 22" rims?

OP
OP
GTNator

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I talked to one of the service guys a few weeks back while I had the tow hitch cover installed and asked about vibration and he made it seem they see it on vehicles with 22" rims. Are the ones experiencing the vibration on 22" rims?

It can happen on all wheel sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mt.davis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I didn't notice the noise until I came across this post. I have a 2015 Yukon SLT w/ OEM 20" wheels and notice it around the mph previously mentioned range (40-45). It's not really noticeable unless you're stay in that mph range.

Mwbutcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what exactly causes the buffeting? It hasn't gone away the new ones still have it. Someone told me that it is actually a faulty roof/headliner design and that the roof flexes too much and causes it between it and the headliner and that their is no fix until they come out with a new body. It only happens in suburbans and XLs from what I understand.
Not mine - not even a hint and just took a Michigan to Florida road trip and back to boot. 2017 Yukon SLT 22" wheels.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Some disagree with me but the ride is so incredibly harsh on 22's that I had to special order my denali with 20's. There is NO DOUBT in my mind that the vibration issues are made worse with the 22's.

Mwbutcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some disagree with me but the ride is so incredibly harsh on 22's that I had to special order my denali with 20's. There is NO DOUBT in my mind that the vibration issues are made worse with the 22's.
I have zero complaints about the ride or noise level on my 22's with less than 4000 to date. For me they are an excellent combination of function and form. They just look so much better with a low profile sidewall IMHO.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have zero complaints about the ride or noise level on my 22's with less than 4000 to date. For me they are an excellent combination of function and form. They just look so much better with a low profile sidewall IMHO.

Agreed that the look is great but our roads suck in N.E. I also drive on lots of dirt roads too and the ride you get with the 22’s coupled with MRC just wasn’t something I could live with here. With it was different I’d love to have them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GTNator

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed that the look is great but our roads suck in N.E. I also drive on lots of dirt roads too and the ride you get with the 22’s coupled with MRC just wasn’t something I could live with here. With it was different I’d love to have them.

I wonder if GM used independent rear suspension if this problem would go away?

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if GM used independent rear suspension if this problem would go away?

My 2010 rode like a dream. Well...Like a lazy boy recliner. My 2016 w/MRC rides like it has solid plastic wheels. I think its the MRC frankly. Independent rears would help the road manners of course but the harsh ride is likely due to the MRC. Some people like the much stiffer ride. Its just not my thing.

15YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My truck rode great until about 35,000 miles and the truck rides like complete crap just wait till you rack up miles. The buffering didn't start until around that mileage range either. The buffeting I can deal with actually it's not the end of the world for me. My truck was all roses until 35-40k. 22s suck in snow and off road too ordering 20s was smart. These sport tires have no meat to grab traction to have any utility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottLady