HID Hi's, Low's, and Fog's Overkill?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CGKirk1104

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm pretty new here, but I have been glued to this site ever since I found it lol. It has been my go-to site for any and everything that I have wanted, needed or didn't know I wanted.

So here's my question. I currently have an 03 black z71 and currently have some 8000K HID's for the lows. I absolutely hate that my hi's and fog's are a completely different color(halogen) than the HIDs.

So would it be COMPLETELY overkill to run some 10000K hi's and some 6000K fogs on this? I was thinking about doing a 4 hi mod as well and Im leaning toward some projectors in the future. Just trying to figure out what it would look like with all that bright light in the front lol

Thanks in advance

And thanks for all the amazing technical write ups. I hope to post some soon once I do some more mods!

Night Fury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would do them all the same color like i plan on doing it. thats my personal opinion. Different color HIDs looks funky after awhile. Hi's and Low's would be same brightness. Just bigger space of light (with both low's and hi's lit up) and fogs would go perfect in my opinion.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the way I went was 6k in the lows. This is super bright, and just a tad blue.

Then I used 3k in the fogs. I did this because I will use them in bad weather a lot and the yellow cuts through fog, rain, etc. a little better.

Then for the highs I bought some 100 Watt Halogens instead of using the 55 Watt ones it comes with. I also didnt use HIDs here because of warm up issues. If you need to flash someone with the highs or change back and forth a lot you will shorten the life of the HIDs and they dont warm up as fast.

If you are doing the fogs just for looks and some more light, match them with the lows. Then keep the highs at the halogen. Just my two cents!

2005yukonxl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have 5000k's in my low beams in my tundra and the yukon. I see no point in upgrading the highs...we never use the highs now that we have HIDs in the lows. the fogs, yeah maybe just for looks but that woudl be all.

and saying u hate the lights being different color and then wanting to put a seperate color hid in each light is kinda making no sense.... they are still not going to be the same color.

Night Fury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the bad blackberry camera quality but heres 8000k Low's and Fogs.

Attachments

• IMG00087-20110426-2100.jpg
    IMG00087-20110426-2100.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG00158-20110627-2331.jpg
    IMG00158-20110627-2331.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 45

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have 5000k's in my low beams in my tundra and the yukon. I see no point in upgrading the highs...we never use the highs now that we have HIDs in the lows. the fogs, yeah maybe just for looks but that woudl be all.

and saying u hate the lights being different color and then wanting to put a seperate color hid in each light is kinda making no sense.... they are still not going to be the same color.

That's what I was thinking. I'm assuming he doesn't like the incandescent look.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
overkill? No. What im building is overkill. Im building a quad Low beam and hi beam projector setup. The pic is just one dual headlight setup.
picture.php

picture.jpg
picture.php

OP
OP
C

CGKirk1104

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Same color as in HID vs Halogen. And its mainly the fogs that bother me the most. But I will probably just throw in some 6000K or 8000Ks in the fogs and be done with it.

Thanks for all the advice!!

dropmech

Puddle Pirate
Reaction score
I have 6k in the lows and fogs and it looks great IMHO. Like Puckhead said, the highs are pointless unless you plan on driving around all night with them on. Takes to long to warm up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52

Latest posts