High Mileage Yukon/Tahoe Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brougham

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm looking for stories from people that have over 250 000 miles on their 5.3 liter Yukons and Tahoes. I'm going to be pushing mine over that number soon and I'm trying to get an idea as to what will break next.

I've had my 2007 Yukon SLT since early 2009. I purchased it with approximately 120000km (74564 miles).

I work in the oilfield and have to provide my own service truck, thus the reason for purchasing the Yukon. To say that life hasn't been easy for it since then would be an understatement. 90% of my driving is on poorly maintained gravel roads in a wide variety of weather conditions. Because stuff usually only breaks when the weather is bad, it's seen is fair share of -40 driving, busting through miles of deep snow and slogging through gumbo like mud on new leases. During flood years I've had to make numerous deep water crossings and have sunk her up to the frame more then once. It's been airborne more often then I would like to say, has taken out more deer then my hunting rifles and is on it's upteenth windshield.

Despite all this I couldn't be happier with the truck, I flog it all day long, maintain in minimally at best and it's still going strong.

Here is a list of what I have had to repair thus far:

2 front wheel bearings
Replaced all shocks at 200000km
New tie rods, a-arms and numerous bushings at 300000km
Rebuilt transfer case at 250000km and again at 350000km (they did the first rebuild incorrectly causing it to fail prematurely)
Replaced drive shaft U-joints 4 times
Replaced gas tank and fuel pump due to frozen vent line
Replaced alternator

Any bets on what is going to go next?
What are your experiances after 250000miles ?

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
I congratulate you for Using it as a real truck. I'm also surprised it actually has lived this long for you. The 5.3 is a real good engine anyways and can live for a long long time if well maintained. I'd be more worried about everything else lol

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still running on the OEM water pump and hoses? Wow!

But I'll repeat GZes surprise things have held up that well to that kind of use. Makes me happier that we got ours for my wife to beat up on, 'cause she will. :)

OP
OP
B

Brougham

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I congratulate you for Using it as a real truck. I'm also surprised it actually has lived this long for you. The 5.3 is a real good engine anyways and can live for a long long time if well maintained. I'd be more worried about everything else lol

My main worry at this point is the transmission crapping out on me. It's not acting up yet, but I have done quite a lot of heavy towing with it. Everything else that can go wrong, other then the engine itself, will just start to nickle and dime me to death.

Still running on the OEM water pump and hoses? Wow!

But I'll repeat GZes surprise things have held up that well to that kind of use. Makes me happier that we got ours for my wife to beat up on, 'cause she will. :)

Well, I haven't changed them and the PO said nothing needed to been fixed or replaced the entire time he had it. I'm assuming these are common problem areas?

Knock on wood, but, I'm hoping the only thing I have to replace under the hood in the near future is the serpentine belt, its starting to make quite a bit of noise.

Things of note, since 200 000km I have been using Amsoil XL 5w30 and have slowly changed all my driveline fluids to synthetic as needed.

Between oil changes (I'm doing 10000 miles per oil change) I usually have to add a litre of oil at the 6000 mile mark. This didn't start until the after 180000 miles. Given the stories I've seen on here regarding oil consumption, I think I've been fairly lucky so far

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That noise from the belt is probably from a tensioner. My experience with tensioners on GM vehicles is you replace them with the belt. You may not have to, but if you live in a remote area, pick up a spare tensioner, just in case. I've had them break when removing the belt. Luckily, I have other vehicles I could use to drive to the parts house and get a replacement.

Transmissions are hit-or-miss. If the fluid has never been changed, or isn't changed often, don't get it flushed, but replace it the old fashioned way, drop the pan, replace the filter screen and fill it up after you reinstall the pan. You can knock stuff loose that wouldn't ordinarily be moving around inside the transmission if they don't get flushed often.

But yeah, it sounds like you have a nice example.

OP
OP
B

Brougham

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That noise from the belt is probably from a tensioner. My experience with tensioners on GM vehicles is you replace them with the belt. You may not have to, but if you live in a remote area, pick up a spare tensioner, just in case. I've had them break when removing the belt. Luckily, I have other vehicles I could use to drive to the parts house and get a replacement.

Transmissions are hit-or-miss. If the fluid has never been changed, or isn't changed often, don't get it flushed, but replace it the old fashioned way, drop the pan, replace the filter screen and fill it up after you reinstall the pan. You can knock stuff loose that wouldn't ordinarily be moving around inside the transmission if they don't get flushed often.

But yeah, it sounds like you have a nice example.

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely look at the tensioner when I have the belt off.

As for the transmission, I had a flush done at 200000km and have been avoiding it since.

Lancaster

Reaction score
I'm thinking likely in your future would be wheel bearings, alternator (worn brushes), starter and battery. You may consider preemptively rebuilding/ replacing these. Catalytic converter... Air conditioner compressor... Make sure you are up to date on plugs, wires, belts etc... Keep out a good eye for RUST!!

I've had a few cars north of 200k. My experience is that it is usually a bad combination of expected/ normal items which all need replacing at the same time that makes me want to throw in the towel.

If you need tires and brakes on all four corners, plus a 50k service and suspension or AC and exhaust all at the same time, you can be looking at a few thousand dollars. On an old car that might be a tough pill to swallow.

Like many things in life the biggest challenge is the mental one. Keep focused on repairing and stay away from the dealer lots!! All this goes for any car- again look for and treat RUST!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helmetgurus