Hitting bumps causes WOBBLE!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hokieguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I took the truck to a shop and let them drive it. The tech said what I was experiencing was normal due to the low profile tires....275/45R20....I still dont belive that, but I havent found anything loose or otherwise......gonna look into Max and rigo_jones' suggestions, thanks guys

Dismay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up an 01 Yukon with a 3/5 Drop and have similar issues, it's not horrible, but I'll be following this thread to see what you find out. :)
JD

ItsAdam1

Master Fabricator
Reaction score
Alright bump steer is gonna come from something being severely slammed. And being slammed is make the tie rods not being parallel to the ground which in that case you would need to do a tie rod flip, I am making a kit to correct this on some trucks I have bagged but I haven't seen this as a problem on lowered SUV's. I don't have this problem on my bagged esky. Now looking at your truck I am thinking you've got a 2/3 drop and if your getting bad bump steer then you probably in need of major steering component overhaul, inner and outter tie rods. idler arm and pit man arm.

RKitagawa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey fellas,

I have the same issue and haven't found a cure yet. Everyone mentions getting a steering damper, however I am quite sure this will only be a temporary fix until I figure out what's going on in the front suspension. Rather than invest in the steering damper and hope the issue resolves, I much rather start swapping the front suspension and correct the issue...then install the steering damper to prevent it.

Not knowing much about cars, does anyone have images that can help me locate all the steering components of the Yukon 01 and what they do. I do know the tie rods, however I am lost when it comes to all others such as the ones below.

Pitman arms
Idle arms
Ball joints
Bearings
U-Joint
Steering box
Control arm bushings

My Yukon does have sever Bump-Steer and it drives me crazy. Never did it before until about a year ago. I constantly check my alignment, balance, rotate, have new tie rods, get the suspension checked with all shops (Midas and Pepe Boys) and yet nothing
seems to work. If I could narrow down the items above while getting it fixed, that would help tremendously.

008uk.jpg

MUDDER TRUCKER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok here is your prob, lower ball joint.....mine got so bad i had to do 15 mph to get home to many railroad tracks to go over. it feels like the front end is shaking like a mofo. put a jack under the a arm and jack it up slowly, keep a eye on the lower ball joint, u will see the a arm move up and the wheel stay in one spot...there is only a lil bit of slopage but it causes one hell of a problem. i just did mine two days ago, solved my problem and corrected my allignment

RKitagawa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mudder Trucker,

That's some great feedback and thanks for the tip. AWESOME and much appreciated.

Thanks for replaying to my question, as I have done further research and I am willing to be some money that you are correct. When driving at 15 to even 45 mph and turning left (no matter how much) I at times can hear the front left side make a noise. Sounds almost like a deep squeaking sound. I looked under the car and it appears the lower ball joint has the grease coming out of it. Nothing looks torn but it does appear as though the grease has been squeezed due to pressure.

So what do you recommend? Replace the upper and lower ball joints on both sides?
If that's not the case, then what should I replace next pitman arms, idle arms and bushings? or should I do the steering rods, stabilizer bar bushings and or U-Joints?

Let me know.

RKitagawa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What up fellas,
Just wanted to give you and update on my Yukon and bump steering. After not getting the answers (from the pros) I decided to take it in my own hands and talk to real peeps who know their trucks (that's all of you). With all your tips, I was able to learn about my car than I ever would of thought and also was able to correct the issue. All my suspension was rock solid and the only two items that needed replacements were the pitman and idle arms. Corrected the issue and my Yukon feels normal again.

Thanks

robb.

Reaction score
i had the same issue with the death wobble....but that was because my tie rods were fuked up...and loose.....fixed that n no more wobble...

RKitagawa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Fellas,
So it's been awhile since my last post but I thought I would let you all know the news of my 2001 4x4 GMC Yukon. As some of you know I took my truck to a few professional shops to get inspected and told nothing was wrong. I certainly didn't believe it so I took it to a whole in the wall place that had a tone of great reviews. Guess what! The mechanic took one look and immediately pointed out that the tie rod and pitman arm was shot. After correcting the issue, the car ran great and the wobble was gone. To help alleviate the tie rod and pitman arm stress, I put on a wheel damper and it's amazing! To top all this off, I finished with balancing the wheels and alignment.

Now...4 months have past I am back in the shop because the bump steer is back. I've taken it back to the same shop that discovered the issue and the mechanic reassures me all looks good. The tie rods, ball joints and shocks look good but the balance and alignment was a bit off. Knowing that 4 months ago i got my car aligned and balanced...what is causing me to have to get this done every 4 months (3 times a year)? The roads here in LA are bad but not that bad...I don't recall hitting too many crazy holes? Anything I could be missing to check for wear and/or old parts?

Let me know. Thanks

Kyleg234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a stock 01 stock wheels and suspension. If I hit like a incline in the road and it gives my truck any lift or a bump (railroad crossings) it pulls to the drivers side by itself it jerks the wheel left.. Is this kinda what ur describing or no.. ive replaced the pitman and idler arm no luck..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
makivili