How Much Insurance Coverage Do You Need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08TZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
wow, I pay roughly 130 a month for my Mustang and Tahoe combined through USAA. I guess it pays to be Military

Sheriff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While Amica who my sister found to be the cheapest quoted me $7100!!!! WTF? Are they nuts?

No, they aren't the nuts.

The people who actually agree to it and pay the $7,100 are the nuts
. :jester:

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
You also get what you pay for. Companies like progressive, geico, usaa, nationwide, they'll use aftermarket parts when you get into a wreck, not oem parts. State Farm is by far the best insurance company out there when it comes to accidents. Next in line I would say Allstate, and liberty mutual. They will use factory parts no matter what (some may use used parts, but they must be factory, all oem). I deal with this stuff every day as I do collision repair.

Sheriff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The collision center where I have my vehicles repaired (when needed) only uses OEM parts. Erie Insurance, my carrier, has never had a problem with this. At 60 years old, and in the last 20 years I have probably paid in $35,000 to $40,000 in home and auto insurance premiums and filed claims on perhaps $10,000 total. They are still ahead of the game. This is why I get preferred rates I suppose?

Last edited:

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
I rock liability. I'm not gonna crash every day and If I crash it won't be that bad I can probably just buy the parts to fix myself. Of course if your paying off a new car you have to get full coverage. Atleast over here

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You also get what you pay for. Companies like progressive, geico, usaa, nationwide, they'll use aftermarket parts when you get into a wreck, not oem parts. State Farm is by far the best insurance company out there when it comes to accidents. Next in line I would say Allstate, and liberty mutual. They will use factory parts no matter what (some may use used parts, but they must be factory, all oem). I deal with this stuff every day as I do collision repair.

My family (mom/dad/sis) was kicked off State Farm for too many wrecks so we were forced to switch :/

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
The collision center where I have my vehicles repaired (when needed) only uses OEM parts. Erie Insurance, my carrier, has never had a problem with this. At 60 years old, and in the last 20 years I have probably paid in $35,000 to $40,000 in home and auto insurance premiums and filed claims on perhaps $10,000 total. They are still ahead of the game. This is why I get preferred rates I suppose?

I used to have Erie Insurance when I lived in NY, it was in their policy to use OEM parts new or used, but most of the ones you see on television (Geico, Progressive, Nationwide), who will insure just about anyone will put aftermarket on. In our shop, if the insurance company figures enough money, we will put OEM on instead of Aftermarket, or figure new OEM vs used, if they figure enough money, but sometimes its just not there. Companies like State Farm for example, (only shady small body shops do this, not ones with good reputations) they figure only OEM parts no matter the age of the vehicle. So if the shop figured a used hood and bumper where State Farm figures new, they will get in big trouble. It does happen, and who loses? You do because its your vehicle with ****** parts on it.

Another example, Safeco will put new OEM parts for vehicles 2 years old and newer. Once your vehicle hits the 2 year mark, they will put aftermarket, and they never figure much money for parts so getting OEM is near impossible.

Make sure you READ the policies before you sign up. Nobody looks at them until they end up in a wreck, then they will fight with the body shop. Its you that signed up for this, (most times) the body shop is not doing anything wrong.

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rock liability. I'm not gonna crash every day and If I crash it won't be that bad I can probably just buy the parts to fix myself. Of course if your paying off a new car you have to get full coverage. Atleast over here

Over the years I had only liability on a few cars but if I buy a car for a pretty penny it will have full coverage! It comes down to basic mathematics and luck! lol

But if your truck was totaled, stolen or happedned to catch on fire tomorrow do you have the cash to replace it? I dont! Thats why I have the coverage I have.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T2003