How to disable automatic headlamps on 2002 Yukon Denali?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YUKON420

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to disable automatic headlamps on 2002 Yukon Denali? I would love if I could somehow have a manual on/off switch on the inside.

Narco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
try pulling the fuse. can you not turn your headlight knob left to turn them off? ive got an 04 and thats how you manually turn them off. dunno if the 02s are different.

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the 03 was the first year with the 'left' override.

OP: I think you have to disable the dashtop sensor by bridging the wires or something similar.

I saw the mod once while googling, no recollection where. z71 or GMFS probably.

denalianyone

NYBlackLade08
Reaction score
I did this back in 03...works like a charm!

To disable the auto headlights you need a 1.5K ohm resistor (Radio Shack) and electrical tape.

First locate the Body Control Module (BCM) which is under the dash, below the steering column. Laying on the floor, this should be visible without removing any dash panels. You should find a purple connector (C3). Unplug it.

Locate the white and gray wires (A4 and A6). I don't remember if white is A4 and gray is A6 or vice versa. It doesn't matter anyway. BTW - there are two gray wires in the connector. The one you want is the one farthest away from the white wire.

Tap the gray wire from the plug (C3) to one end of the resistor and the white wire to the other end. You don't need to cut the wires. Make sure you tape up all wires to prevent a short. You should now have a gray wire coming from C3 tapped to one lead of the resistor and the white wire from C3 tapped to the other resistor lead *. Plug C3 back into the BCM. Start the truck and make sure the lights are off. Throw a dark towel or something over the light sensor on the dash and verify the lights stay off. Try your light switch that has probably never been used and that's it! Takes about 5 minutes.

*You can add a switch here if you want. Just connect one end of the resistor to one of the wires in the connector (doesn't matter which one) and the other end of the resistor to one side of the switch. Then connect a wire from the other side of the switch to the other wire in the connector. This will allow you to turn Twilight Mode on and off.

OP
OP
YUKON420

YUKON420

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
woah thanks Ray. I'm gonna have to do that today after work and see how it comes out.

joeyjamin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Automatic Headlight

there is a push button rite under the dash board light swith press the button on and of till u hear a beep in the truck......when u hear that the automatic light has been disable

mosthated818

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to disable automatic headlamps on 2002 Yukon Denali? I would love if I could somehow have a manual on/off switch on the inside.
Press the dome over ride button 4 times within 6 seconds. You will hear a chime. Proses is complete. Very simple.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On an '02 Denali you need to use the resistor trick if you want a permanent solution. The override process mentioned above has to be repeated constantly, every time you turn off the ignition if I remember right . I did the resistor on mine to keep from burning out my HID bulbs or ballasts. No problems for 6 months so far. It's real easy to do.

mosthated818

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On an '02 Denali you need to use the resistor trick if you want a permanent solution. The override process mentioned above has to be repeated constantly, every time you turn off the ignition if I remember right . I did the resistor on mine to keep from burning out my HID bulbs or ballasts. No problems for 6 months so far. It's real easy to do.
How do you install the resistor? My HIDs aren't going out, it's just really annoying to override every time. Thanks.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping you noticed a few posts back, denalianyone posted the info on the resistor trick. Sorry, I haven't been on here for awhile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdxpress