How to know if oil has been changed at dealership

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hobert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on your pictures I'd march right back in with the information stated above. Oil filter is leaking, oil is black as coal after 20 miles, technician obviously isn't conscientious about their work. Nothing other than a sticker says oil was changed. Make them do it again, with care and precision this time.
Send a sample to be analyzed. Blackstone. Then you will know and can share with dealer if necessary.

Tom-M

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sent in the lm2 Yukon for an oil change today . When I got home i found that it appears that they forgot to reset the oil life monitor . Is there any feasible way to check if the oil was actually changed ? The oil is already pitch black as expected for a diesel
First question to ask is if they actually put oil in after draining. Check the dipstick.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Ask them if they really want to correct the issue or do this like gentlemen.

Tell them ABC Indi shop put a torque wrench on the filter. It’s 70+ lb and still not coming off. It’s leaking. The oil is gritty. ABC shop took a sample from the dipstick, it’s gritty & black after 20 miles. The oil life monitor is not reset.

Should I pay you guys to change the oil again? I can send the other shops sample off for analysis in the mean time. I can come come back 45 minutes after you change the oil today and make a 20 mile drive to show you what it should look like?

Let’s get that stuck filter off the truck, change the oil and write in my new RO what the filter was torqued to OK?

You might find the oil was never changed because the dealership couldn’t get the filter off from your last oil change there. You might have a pan they fubar that they’re hoping to conceal and blame on you.

Have a verifiable shop pull an oil sample and check the torque on the oil filter for reals.

BattleTank

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I didn't know oil filters are torqued? Most have diagrams on side indicating, once filter touches, its 3/4 to 1 full turn. No more. Unless specified differently in OEM service manual. Not corporate ****** oil change manual.

Drain plugs are torqued, not with ugga duggas. Anyone using a gun on a drain plug IMO should be fired.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never done anything but hand tightened plus 1/2 a turn on oil filters my entire life. Never had a leak never had a problem. Same with drain plugs. Finger snug, then maybe one more turn. How hard is it? I don't break out a torque wrench unless I'm working on lug nuts.

GMCnewbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the Dealer mechanic couldn't get the drainplug out either! I have never heard of black oil after an oil change.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from the pics you can see used oil dripping down the filter and on the cross member; those aren't from a leaking filter as the OP would have oil all over his floor and the leak would be covered in road grime

the oil was changed

based on the replies, i'm surprised someone hasn't suggested the OP get a lawyer; guessing that's next

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aracka