How to turn off infotainment screen backlight?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Unknown47

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I do a lot of night driving on the interstates, sometimes driving till the sun comes up when traveling across western states I cannot stand that screen always being on. Every other vehicle I've owned I would turn the dash lights down to the lowest setting which would turn off all LEDs besides the gauges which would be very slightly lit. I don't have a problem with any of the other LEDs in all the buttons as they dim pretty low but would be nice if I could get those off too. The main concern is that that big screen even on the lowest brightness setting is still too bright for being literally the only light I'm seeing at all when driving through the deserts. I really need the backlight to just be completely off and if I touch the screen to then illuminate dimly temporarily. I don't see anyway to do this when even my crappy printer has this capability so I require my $80k Tahoe to do this simple thing of not straining my eyes with a bright screen in the middle of a dark desert. Since this is a basic thing most electronics do, I'm surely just missing this button or setting right? I know I'm not the only one having this problem, how do y'all shut the screen off because I very much do not need the screen on really at all, it's just a waste of energy and makes driving at night more dangerous?

2021 Tahoe RST Diesel

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do a lot of night driving on the interstates, sometimes driving till the sun comes up when traveling across western states I cannot stand that screen always being on. Every other vehicle I've owned I would turn the dash lights down to the lowest setting which would turn off all LEDs besides the gauges which would be very slightly lit. I don't have a problem with any of the other LEDs in all the buttons as they dim pretty low but would be nice if I could get those off too. The main concern is that that big screen even on the lowest brightness setting is still too bright for being literally the only light I'm seeing at all when driving through the deserts. I really need the backlight to just be completely off and if I touch the screen to then illuminate dimly temporarily. I don't see anyway to do this when even my crappy printer has this capability so I require my $80k Tahoe to do this simple thing of not straining my eyes with a bright screen in the middle of a dark desert. Since this is a basic thing most electronics do, I'm surely just missing this button or setting right? I know I'm not the only one having this problem, how do y'all shut the screen off because I very much do not need the screen on really at all, it's just a waste of energy and makes driving at night more dangerous?

2021 Tahoe RST Diesel
I'm going to "guess" you may need a specific calibration file to do it. or you could if so desired install a toggle switch to the radio fuse
or.... hook & loop fastener attached to a black cloth as a "blind"
there are options........
just like unplugging a led in the headliner that never goes off

OP
OP
U

Unknown47

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions! I do still want the radio on though but have no need for the screen since I have all the interstates memorized so never use navigation while on them besides last mile directions. Do you mind telling me a little more about the calibration files? Is this something I can program myself and upload via USB or something? I tried looking it up but can't find anything relating to it? I'm a systems engineer and do stuff like that all the time but have never touched car related systems like that. Also I'd love to cut into the wiring to install a switch but I do plan on trading this for a '25 or '26 for the new diesel engine I've been waiting a few years for. I've been next in line on the waitlist for a '24 for 18 months so the dealer offered me a used 21 to hold me over then they didn't even offer the new motor on the 24 anyway..

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions! I do still want the radio on though but have no need for the screen since I have all the interstates memorized so never use navigation while on them besides last mile directions. Do you mind telling me a little more about the calibration files? Is this something I can program myself and upload via USB or something? I tried looking it up but can't find anything relating to it? I'm a systems engineer and do stuff like that all the time but have never touched car related systems like that. Also I'd love to cut into the wiring to install a switch but I do plan on trading this for a '25 or '26 for the new diesel engine I've been waiting a few years for. I've been next in line on the waitlist for a '24 for 18 months so the dealer offered me a used 21 to hold me over then they didn't even offer the new motor on the 24 anyway..
you wouldn't have to cut anything you just wire a switch to the fuse slot with a fuse adapter, 100% plug-n-play, when the time comes remove adapter, put fuse back in.
as for the possibility of a calibration file, yes it is something you could do yourself (for a cost)
you would need a windows 10 pc/laptop and a MDI-ii, clones run about $200 a oem one is around $1k and they do the exact same thing, so no reason to not use a clone
then you would need to pay the $40 fee for 2 years of programming (for the vin) thru techline connect.
you might want to call them first though before even attempting anything to see if they have a calibration file that will do what you want it to or if they could make you one.
what they would do if they have one, is give you a calibration file # that you would enter into sps to program your specific vin/radio module.
there phone number is on the bottom of this online pdf that gives you a little more info on how the sps works (skip to page 3 "service programming"), it's easy to do