HP Tuners additional changes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coolman1987us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one time I tried Bluecat, the shift scheduling was earlier than stock! Probably had some values off, will try again.

However, the 2015 shift scheduling is noticeably better than my stock 2012 tune. I recently got a 2017 tune to look at, and it looks more better (lower tps areas have shift mph raised) Because I often make a turn and the transmission shifts right when I want to punch it out of turn.

Still working on the 2017 tune because there are some other differences I'm still looking at. For example 5th and 6th TCC disengage is set much higher than engagement speed, in effect not disengaging. I believe it is set to downshift with tcc locked? and so the tcc wont disengage until 4th or lower. (i think)

The biggest thing I don't agree with, that many recommend, is disabling tcc in 1-4. For me, 4th is my around town cruising speed. (with 3.08 gears!) Having converter slack when you want to make small speed adjustments is annoying, not to mention generating more heat. I am speculating those that turn it off in 4th, dont do much in town driving.

Remember to reset your adaptives after a tune!
It definitely alters the shift points but there is a way to adjust how aggressive the up and downshift are. I adjusted my shift points so it downshifts earlier and it made a big difference. No more 3/4 throttle to get it to downshift.

Coolman1987us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't yet owned a vehicle with a 6L80, nor have I ever tuned a 6L80 (yet), but I've tuned scores of 4L60Es.
I'll state from experience that, especially if the vehicle does not have quite enough axle gearing,
it's almost pointless to be in the overdriven gear(s) unless the torque converter can also be locked.
Instead of 6th-Unlocked, why not 5th-Locked?
Instead of 5th-Unlocked, why not 4th-Locked?

Which brings me to my next point:
For very gently putt-putting around in 6L80's 4th, it might be okay to lock the TCC at the lower throttle angles,
then unlock it in 4th at slightly higher loads, then downshift to 3rd ...
OR it might just be better to be in 3rd-Unlocked? I can't say for sure 'cause I haven't yet tuned a 6L80.
I think your speculation about metro-urban driving in 4th gear is spot on.
If you, or anyone else, is curious this is the tune I'm currently running. Waiting on a wideband to do more engine tuning. (HPTuners)

Attachments

• 9-22 Ign off fans recalibrate + optimized stock (tq mgt delete), flex fuel off, calibrate stoi...zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird, I assumed the 10-14 tahoes would have the same tcm, but the layout in hptuners is different for '10-'12 and '13-'14.
The '13-'14 layout resembles the '15+ shift schedule layout..

I'm convinced the 2015 schedule is an improvement, as well as some other settings.. torque adder (shift time), inertia profile (shift feel) settings, adder modifiers zero'd... Since you have a 3.42 rearend, the closest I could find in the tune repository is a 2015 GMC Sierra 5.3 that is also a 3.42 ratio.
In case you get bored and want to test it out.. Because I wonder if it's in my head, but I've switched back and forth a few times, and everytime I feel the 2015+ settings are an improvement.

Here's a gif I made of '12, '15, '17 shift schedule (3.08) gears 1-4..
6l80grow.gif

Last edited:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If only that .gif could be slowed down, or paused ...
But study that .gif long enough, it's a basic beginner's wordless instructional on how to tune a 'Normal'* shift table for a more responsive transmission.

*Please note: 'Performance' mode, 'Tow / Haul' mode, 'Eco' mode, 'Valet mode, etc, each have noticeably different philosophies.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, hoping the bump in upshift speeds at low throttle will help it from shifting early when easing off the throttle such as entering a turn or just slowing temporarily. That's what I'm most excited about.. Have bumped those speeds myself, but sometimes forgetting to reset adaptives and reverting back closer to stock to maintain the smooth shift.

Then there's the 3-2 downshift that is reduced below 50%, but higher above 50%.

Some refinement that I wouldn't have gotten done by myself, big time saver for me to start with the later schedule..
5th and 6th maybe a different story.. still looking at those..

Not saying someone ELSE couldn't do better all around, just not me..

Slower version..
6l80slogrow.gif