HP Tuners additional changes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coolman1987us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one time I tried Bluecat, the shift scheduling was earlier than stock! Probably had some values off, will try again.

However, the 2015 shift scheduling is noticeably better than my stock 2012 tune. I recently got a 2017 tune to look at, and it looks more better (lower tps areas have shift mph raised) Because I often make a turn and the transmission shifts right when I want to punch it out of turn.

Still working on the 2017 tune because there are some other differences I'm still looking at. For example 5th and 6th TCC disengage is set much higher than engagement speed, in effect not disengaging. I believe it is set to downshift with tcc locked? and so the tcc wont disengage until 4th or lower. (i think)

The biggest thing I don't agree with, that many recommend, is disabling tcc in 1-4. For me, 4th is my around town cruising speed. (with 3.08 gears!) Having converter slack when you want to make small speed adjustments is annoying, not to mention generating more heat. I am speculating those that turn it off in 4th, dont do much in town driving.

Remember to reset your adaptives after a tune!
It definitely alters the shift points but there is a way to adjust how aggressive the up and downshift are. I adjusted my shift points so it downshifts earlier and it made a big difference. No more 3/4 throttle to get it to downshift.

Coolman1987us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't yet owned a vehicle with a 6L80, nor have I ever tuned a 6L80 (yet), but I've tuned scores of 4L60Es.
I'll state from experience that, especially if the vehicle does not have quite enough axle gearing,
it's almost pointless to be in the overdriven gear(s) unless the torque converter can also be locked.
Instead of 6th-Unlocked, why not 5th-Locked?
Instead of 5th-Unlocked, why not 4th-Locked?

Which brings me to my next point:
For very gently putt-putting around in 6L80's 4th, it might be okay to lock the TCC at the lower throttle angles,
then unlock it in 4th at slightly higher loads, then downshift to 3rd ...
OR it might just be better to be in 3rd-Unlocked? I can't say for sure 'cause I haven't yet tuned a 6L80.
I think your speculation about metro-urban driving in 4th gear is spot on.
If you, or anyone else, is curious this is the tune I'm currently running. Waiting on a wideband to do more engine tuning. (HPTuners)

Attachments

• 9-22 Ign off fans recalibrate + optimized stock (tq mgt delete), flex fuel off, calibrate stoi...zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird, I assumed the 10-14 tahoes would have the same tcm, but the layout in hptuners is different for '10-'12 and '13-'14.
The '13-'14 layout resembles the '15+ shift schedule layout..

I'm convinced the 2015 schedule is an improvement, as well as some other settings.. torque adder (shift time), inertia profile (shift feel) settings, adder modifiers zero'd... Since you have a 3.42 rearend, the closest I could find in the tune repository is a 2015 GMC Sierra 5.3 that is also a 3.42 ratio.
In case you get bored and want to test it out.. Because I wonder if it's in my head, but I've switched back and forth a few times (not the schedule, but those other settings) and everytime I feel the 2015+ settings are an improvement.

Here's a gif I made of '12, '15, '17 shift schedule (3.08) gears 1-4..
6l80grow.gif

Last edited:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If only that .gif could be slowed down, or paused ...
But study that .gif long enough, it's a basic beginner's wordless instructional on how to tune a 'Normal'* shift table for a more responsive transmission.

*Please note: 'Performance' mode, 'Tow / Haul' mode, 'Eco' mode, 'Valet mode, etc, each have noticeably different philosophies.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, hoping the bump in upshift speeds at low throttle will help it from shifting early when easing off the throttle such as entering a turn or just slowing temporarily. That's what I'm most excited about.. Have bumped those speeds myself, but sometimes forgetting to reset adaptives and reverting back closer to stock to maintain the smooth shift.

Then there's the 3-2 downshift that is reduced below 50%, but higher above 50%.

Some refinement that I wouldn't have gotten done by myself, big time saver for me to start with the later schedule..
5th and 6th maybe a different story.. still looking at those..

Not saying someone ELSE couldn't do better all around, just not me..

Slower version..
6l80slogrow.gif

OP
OP
KidWgn

KidWgn

Certified Kid Hauler
Reaction score
I can't believe I somehow missed all of these replies.
?

please let us know his info if he can do any of that. that's all in the body control module and as far as I know hptuners never touches the bcm. he might possibly have cracked this module and able to tune it. but that's genuine level software engineer stuff and I definitely want is info. I will pay him to a decent amount of money to crack and disassemble the os in some modules in my truck.

Put me on the list for this as well.
You were both correct. I thought I had read somewhere that HPT could also alter the BCM, but I was wrong.
Since there is a Low Octane Spark Table and a High Octane Spark Table, you may want to say something like,
"I'll be using 87 primarily, but it'd be nice if, on the off-chance I use 93, I get a little something extra?"

There are at least two Hot Modes, one references coolant temp, the other references ATF temp.
(Motor oil temp would be the 3rd reference, but that only goes for 'vettes that use a motor oil temp sensor unless you install one.)
GM's overheat thresholds are, frankly, near as makes no difference ridiculous.

Having had this feature tuned on my '02 Z71, I'm glad I did.
Wish I would've known this.
disable AFM!!!
cooling fans can come on earlier
raise minimum alternator voltage
traction control can be disabled (ETC, spark, fuel cut)
speed limiter

make downshifts sooner/easier
reduce or eliminate TCC slip
can reduce torque management or speed up shift times???
Sport mode, if you know the settings you need,
you could program whatever you want into the tow/haul mode, or normal mode.

The things you listed sound more like the BTDieselworks AutoSync device with BCM tuning.
Not all listed features work, but most all important ones do.
AFM was obviously disabled. He said that the TCM doesn't support altering tow/haul. I don't believe him.
The one time I tried Bluecat, the shift scheduling was earlier than stock! Probably had some values off, will try again.

However, the 2015 shift scheduling is noticeably better than my stock 2012 tune. I recently got a 2017 tune to look at, and it looks more better (lower tps areas have shift mph raised) Because I often make a turn and the transmission shifts right when I want to punch it out of turn.

The biggest thing I don't agree with, that many recommend, is disabling tcc in 1-4. For me, 4th is my around town cruising speed. (with 3.08 gears!) Having converter slack when you want to make small speed adjustments is annoying, not to mention generating more heat. I am speculating those that turn it off in 4th, dont do much in town driving.

Remember to reset your adaptives after a tune!
How do I reset adaptives? Why am I just now reading about this?! lol
Haven't yet owned a vehicle with a 6L80, nor have I ever tuned a 6L80 (yet), but I've tuned scores of 4L60Es.
I'll state from experience that, especially if the vehicle does not have quite enough axle gearing,
it's almost pointless to be in the overdriven gear(s) unless the torque converter can also be locked.
Instead of 6th-Unlocked, why not 5th-Locked?
Instead of 5th-Unlocked, why not 4th-Locked?

Which brings me to my next point:
For very gently putt-putting around in 6L80's 4th, it might be okay to lock the TCC at the lower throttle angles,
then unlock it in 4th at slightly higher loads, then downshift to 3rd ...
OR it might just be better to be in 3rd-Unlocked? I can't say for sure 'cause I haven't yet tuned a 6L80.
I think your speculation about metro-urban driving in 4th gear is spot on.
I agree. I need to adjust my speed settings.
It definitely alters the shift points but there is a way to adjust how aggressive the up and downshift are. I adjusted my shift points so it downshifts earlier and it made a big difference. No more 3/4 throttle to get it to downshift.
I need to do this as well.
Weird, I assumed the 10-14 tahoes would have the same tcm, but the layout in hptuners is different for '10-'12 and '13-'14.
The '13-'14 layout resembles the '15+ shift schedule layout..

I'm convinced the 2015 schedule is an improvement, as well as some other settings.. torque adder (shift time), inertia profile (shift feel) settings, adder modifiers zero'd... Since you have a 3.42 rearend, the closest I could find in the tune repository is a 2015 GMC Sierra 5.3 that is also a 3.42 ratio.
In case you get bored and want to test it out.. Because I wonder if it's in my head, but I've switched back and forth a few times (not the schedule, but those other settings) and everytime I feel the 2015+ settings are an improvement.

Here's a gif I made of '12, '15, '17 shift schedule (3.08) gears 1-4..
View attachment 439442

Yup, hoping the bump in upshift speeds at low throttle will help it from shifting early when easing off the throttle such as entering a turn or just slowing temporarily. That's what I'm most excited about.. Have bumped those speeds myself, but sometimes forgetting to reset adaptives and reverting back closer to stock to maintain the smooth shift.

Then there's the 3-2 downshift that is reduced below 50%, but higher above 50%.

Some refinement that I wouldn't have gotten done by myself, big time saver for me to start with the later schedule..
5th and 6th maybe a different story.. still looking at those..

Not saying someone ELSE couldn't do better all around, just not me..

Slower version..
View attachment 439443

So, it's been some months since the tune. Overall, I'm not very happy with it. Not for lack of power, but for lack of enhanced drivability. I wasn't expecting hardly ANY bump in power, as I asked them to keep it mild.

That being said, I'm just going to buy an MPVI3 and learn to tune myself. The guys on the HPT forum are very knowledgeable, and very willing to be helpful. With the person who did my tune being almost an hour away, I can't justify driving back and forth over there all the time for adjustments. If nothing else, this will allow me to send him files, and he can send them back. I'd rather just learn to make adjustments myself, though.

I asked to have earlier downshifts incorporated, similar to what tow/haul mode does. Nope.
I asked for a "sport" mode in place of the tow/haul. Nope.
I asked for upshifts to occur later based on speed, because of the 3.08 gears. Nope.

The old adage is true; if you want something done right, do it yourself. After spending $600 on a tune and getting none of what I asked for, I won't get burned again.

buckwild27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't believe I somehow missed all of these replies.

You were both correct. I thought I had read somewhere that HPT could also alter the BCM, but I was wrong.

Wish I would've known this.

AFM was obviously disabled. He said that the TCM doesn't support altering tow/haul. I don't believe him.

How do I reset adaptives? Why am I just now reading about this?! lol

I agree. I need to adjust my speed settings.

I need to do this as well.

So, it's been some months since the tune. Overall, I'm not very happy with it. Not for lack of power, but for lack of enhanced drivability. I wasn't expecting hardly ANY bump in power, as I asked them to keep it mild.

That being said, I'm just going to buy an MPVI3 and learn to tune myself. The guys on the HPT forum are very knowledgeable, and very willing to be helpful. With the person who did my tune being almost an hour away, I can't justify driving back and forth over there all the time for adjustments. If nothing else, this will allow me to send him files, and he can send them back. I'd rather just learn to make adjustments myself, though.

I asked to have earlier downshifts incorporated, similar to what tow/haul mode does. Nope.
I asked for upshifts to occur later based on speed, because of the 3.08 gears. Nope.

The old adage is true; if you want something done right, do it yourself. After spending $600 on a tune and getting none of what I asked for, I won't get burned again.
If you get the hptuner stuff you will be able to email your tuner guy the file as well.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked for upshifts to occur later based on speed, because of 3.08. Nope.
Sounds like he may, for whatever reason, lack the ability to tune the tcm?
'cause everything you asked for that got (Nope'd) has NOTHING to do with the engine control module.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LonewolfMcquade

Latest posts