Hurts Taking One Like This

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But I do have to ding the seller on one thing.. His company is called Corys LS Auto Parts. And he drives a FORD!:893Chainsaw-Smilie-
He's a traitor trader! LOL! There's half a dozen scrappers within the Sacramento area that do the same thing. And they have warranties anywhere from 30 days to 90 days. I just don't trust anyone really. I'd rather try to rebuild mine. I mean heck, if I can tear apart a Harley this can't be that technical. Still haven't heard back from him. And yeah, he doesn't really know what's up because he says it's a 4L60E.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay my stethoscope arrived so I went out to investigate further. Had to have the wife inside shifting from Drive to Neutral and back again because it only makes the noise for a few minutes when shifting at idle. The sound of small rocks tumbling was more prominent at the TC where I can picture the chain running on the inboard side. I can hear it at the transmission pan and surrounding area but I believe that's just echo. Then as I'm lying there I start hearing "tink, tink, tink". I moved the stethoscope to the bell housing and could here it clearly. Nothing around the oil filter or area around there or the engine pan. I'm now just sick to my stomach. I inspected the torque converter bolts and flywheel several days ago! Don't know what to do next.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Okay my stethoscope arrived so I went out to investigate further. Had to have the wife inside shifting from Drive to Neutral and back again because it only makes the noise for a few minutes when shifting at idle. The sound of small rocks tumbling was more prominent at the TC where I can picture the chain running on the inboard side. I can hear it at the transmission pan and surrounding area but I believe that's just echo. Then as I'm lying there I start hearing "tink, tink, tink". I moved the stethoscope to the bell housing and could here it clearly. Nothing around the oil filter or area around there or the engine pan. I'm now just sick to my stomach. I inspected the torque converter bolts and flywheel several days ago! Don't know what to do next.
That's exactly how mine started when I had a crack in my flex plate. Do you have one of those inspection cameras? Could snake it up through the inspection hole in the bellhousing. Screenshot_20180903-090111_Photos.jpg

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's exactly how mine started when I had a crack in my flex plate. Do you have one of those inspection cameras? Could snake it up through the inspection hole in the bellhousing. View attachment 348213
Yeah, I'll be under it again in the morning. I do have a small borescope so maybe it will work in there. I just can't believe everything that's happening right now. If that's the case I'm looking at the transmission coming out. Too broke to pay someone and no place to work on it other than my driveway. In a HOA!

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it makes the noise with the TC 2wd it probably not the Chain. Plus, if it makes a grinding noise when its not moving it’s not likely to be a bearing.
Sure was prominent in the TC though. It'll come out eventually and get cracked open. I think I can handle rebuilding the TC but not the Transmission. Probably have to get a used one and pray.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's exactly how mine started when I had a crack in my flex plate. Do you have one of those inspection cameras? Could snake it up through the inspection hole in the bellhousing. View attachment 348213
1210092032a (1)2.jpg
Centered the flexplate and snapped the output at the same time. You want to talk about violent sounds lol.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure was prominent in the TC though. It'll come out eventually and get cracked open. I think I can handle rebuilding the TC but not the Transmission. Probably have to get a used one and pray.
If it is the flexplate, there is a little trick ive used for my ford and nova. I dont know if you can find 10mmx1.5 pitch all thread though. Pull 2 of the bell housing bolts( opposite sides of the block), thread in 6 or so inches of all thread in those holes, put a nut on the free end, remove the torque converter bolts, the remaining bell housing bolts, dipstick tube (plug hole), linkage and wiring. Then slide trans back on all thread, that supports the front and a jack supports under the pan. You can replace the flexplate without dropping the trans on the ground. When done slide back into place on the "guide pin all thread". Reassembly is reverse of disassembly.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is the flexplate, there is a little trick ive used for my ford and nova. I dont know if you can find 10mmx1.5 pitch all thread though. Pull 2 of the bell housing bolts( opposite sides of the block), thread in 6 or so inches of all thread in those holes, put a nut on the free end, remove the torque converter bolts, the remaining bell housing bolts, dipstick tube (plug hole), linkage and wiring. Then slide trans back on all thread, that supports the front and a jack supports under the pan. You can replace the flexplate without dropping the trans on the ground. When done slide back into place on the "guide pin all thread". Reassembly is reverse of disassembly.
That is pure genius! You should post that on a public media. Where did you learn that?
That may be an option but I really think the TC and the Transmission have to come out. Aside from someone stealing this vehicle and burning it to the ground my only option is I have to repair whatever the problem is myself. I'm on a fixed income. Seems all I do is work on it though. Started out with a noisy transmission and me finding out the installing shop went out of business and I'm on the hook for that. Then the wife smokes the front rotors and brakes. Then it rolls in with what sounds like rocks in the TC. Now I'm hearing noise from the bell housing like a metal to metal "tink" on every rotation. I can't say the whole vehicle is worth another transmission and me trying to rebuild the TC. But like I said, I've replaced or repaired nearly everything else and when it's running it's a nice ride. Oh, and now it's got a brake hanging. That's the least of my worries right now though. Gotta have a running vehicle! Last transmission I pulled was 27 yrs ago. I guess if it kills me I won't have to work on it anymore! Wait, with my luck if there's a Hell that's where I'll end up....working in Satan's garage! LOL! (Sorry...hungover!)

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
That sounds like an amazing "hack". Great idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dap365

Latest posts