Hurts Taking One Like This

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, I'm completely stumped here. The "tink, tink" noise I heard yesterday coming from the bell housing is not there now. I pulled the inspection plug, as well as the plastic shield by the starter. I could see both sides of the flex plate that way. I cranked the motor through at least 3 rotations looking in both sides at the plate and the torque converter bolts. I didn't see anything suspicious. No wear marks, no cracks, nothing. I even started it and layed under it watching it go around. I think I've lost my mind!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Guys, I'm completely stumped here. The "tink, tink" noise I heard yesterday coming from the bell housing is not there now. I pulled the inspection plug, as well as the plastic shield by the starter. I could see both sides of the flex plate that way. I cranked the motor through at least 3 rotations looking in both sides at the plate and the torque converter bolts. I didn't see anything suspicious. No wear marks, no cracks, nothing. I even started it and layed under it watching it go around. I think I've lost my mind!
One of my flexplates--broke 2--had cracks going around the hub and bolts, so it was really hard to see. Are you sure? It's the pic I posted.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of my flexplates--broke 2--had cracks going around the hub and bolts, so it was really hard to see. Are you sure? It's the pic I posted.
Front (engine) side, or transmission side? I'll go back and look again. See if I can get some pics with my borescope. What kill me is I can't get it to replicate that "tink" sound again!

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is pure genius! You should post that on a public media. Where did you learn that?
That may be an option but I really think the TC and the Transmission have to come out. Aside from someone stealing this vehicle and burning it to the ground my only option is I have to repair whatever the problem is myself. I'm on a fixed income. Seems all I do is work on it though. Started out with a noisy transmission and me finding out the installing shop went out of business and I'm on the hook for that. Then the wife smokes the front rotors and brakes. Then it rolls in with what sounds like rocks in the TC. Now I'm hearing noise from the bell housing like a metal to metal "tink" on every rotation. I can't say the whole vehicle is worth another transmission and me trying to rebuild the TC. But like I said, I've replaced or repaired nearly everything else and when it's running it's a nice ride. Oh, and now it's got a brake hanging. That's the least of my worries right now though. Gotta have a running vehicle! Last transmission I pulled was 27 yrs ago. I guess if it kills me I won't have to work on it anymore! Wait, with my luck if there's a Hell that's where I'll end up....working in Satan's garage! LOL! (Sorry...hungover!)
Learnt if from my uncle. He is one of those "old" mechanics.
Some vehicles you have to pull the tcase off to get the trans to drop enough for clearance with the firewall.
I hate intermittent noises. Id say pull the tc and start the rig to see if it makes noise. If it does... well that rules out that as a possible issue, cant make noise if it isn't attached...right?

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Learnt if from my uncle. He is one of those "old" mechanics.
Some vehicles you have to pull the tcase off to get the trans to drop enough for clearance with the firewall.

I hate intermittent noises. Id say pull the tc and start the rig to see if it makes noise. If it does... well that rules out that as a possible issue, cant make noise if it isn't attached...right?
Yep that's where I'm going. Clearing out room in the garage now. Won't have room to swing a cat but I'll be able to get under one side, keep both my Harleys in there, and access my bench and tools!

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks okay, but can be hard to tell. I guess if it still ticks/clicks after the case is off, thats the next best place to look. Mine ticked even in park... dont know if that is everyones experience though
Well that's the funny part. That "tink" noise only did that one time. I can't get it to do it again. I do have the round metal inspection cover off though. But I don't see a mark on that either. It couldn't have been a starter tooth barely touching either because it had been running for 5 minutes. I even stuck my finger in there thinking I'd find something lying on the bottom of the bell. Nothing. (When it was not running! DOH!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dap365