I need advice on two issues (noise)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TL24

Reaction score
1st issue I have is when I start my 2004 Yukon Denali there's a clicking sound coming from the engine. As the car warms up it goes away but I can still hear it if I'm driving/accelerating on the streets/highways, I can only hear the clicking if it bounces off a barrier or anything that would bounce the sound back to me.

2nd issue I have is a buzzing sound coming from the rear driver side, the noise is coming directly behind the rear driver side wheel - is this an issue with the Rear Air Suspension Compressor?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ist issue: Maybe a video of said noise would help to better pinpoint.

2nd Issue: That buzzing is probably your compressor. I'm sure it is the original and most likely on its last legs. Mine was very loud as well-could hear it over the radio. I purchased reman'd OEM rear shocks and a new compressor from Arnott and installed them myself. The compressor is an easy DIY. The hardest part for me was drilling out the 3 mounting screws that snapped off holding the compressor on. I just drilled them out and used a little bigger diameter self tapping screw-problem solved. There are good instructions-not to mention plenty of threads about this very thing on TYF. I picked up the shocks/compressor as a package from Arnott via ebay for $550 shipped. My shocks were leaking thus making my compressor run a lot more than it should.....

OP
OP
T

TL24

Reaction score
Ist issue: Maybe a video of said noise would help to better pinpoint.

2nd Issue: That buzzing is probably your compressor. I'm sure it is the original and most likely on its last legs. Mine was very loud as well-could hear it over the radio. I purchased reman'd OEM rear shocks and a new compressor from Arnott and installed them myself. The compressor is an easy DIY. The hardest part for me was drilling out the 3 mounting screws that snapped off holding the compressor on. I just drilled them out and used a little bigger diameter self tapping screw-problem solved. There are good instructions-not to mention plenty of threads about this very thing on TYF. I picked up the shocks/compressor as a package from Arnott via ebay for $550 shipped. My shocks were leaking thus making my compressor run a lot more than it should.....

Great! Thanks for the feedback bro! I was assuming it was the air compressor but I just wanted to be sure before buying and replacing it myself along with the new air shocks.

I'll try to record and post up a video ASAP so that you have a better idea of that clicking noise I'm referring to.

Again much appreciated!

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO

First issue: Valve train not warmed up...Just clicking/tapping away. I dont think thats a big deal at all from what I've heard. I have heard it normally goes away as the vehicle reach Normal Operating Temp. My friends Trailblazer SS makes that sounds all the time. SO does mine!! its just an engine characteristic?

Second Issue: No idea!! But...what if you get someone to drive the truck while you bounce around back there listening for this and that. Maybe take some trims pieces off.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For issue 1) check to see that all bolts are in place for exhaust headers. Our cars tend to lose a bolthead or two, so the exhaust manifold doesn't seat as firm, and you can get a ticking sound that follows engine rpm, much more noticeable when cold. I think the most common location is the one closest to the firewall, of course the most difficult to get at too.

WildBill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may verify that the oil isnt low. The lifter will need to "pump up" if there isnt enought oil. Also, on the LS1 based cars there is an issue called piston slap where when the engine is cold, the piston to cylinder wall clearance is greater and allows the skirt of the piston to slap the cylinder wall. Once it warms, all the tolerences close up and the problem is gone. It really isnt a big deal. However, I dont know if your Denali could have the same issue. The vortec series is LS_ based, but its an Iron block.

OP
OP
T

TL24

Reaction score
Got a video that I'll post up when I get home from work, that'll give you guys a better idea of what I'm referring to.

Thanks again for all the inputs y'all!

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TL24

Reaction score
So I decided that issue #1 could be a lot of things and I'm guessing it's related to what everyone here has been telling me. I'll live with it for now and if it gets worse I'll have to dig around some more to come up with a solution. In the meantime I didn't get a chance to upload a video on it but I'll try to post it up this weekend.

On another hand, I've got a weird issue that just started... There's this "ticking/clicking" noise coming from the steering wheel and I can't seem to figure wtf it is! It's annoying the hell out of me and I want to get it fixed ASAP so here's a video of the sound I'm hearing internally, I'm hoping you all can give me some insight! Again, thanks ahead of time y'all!

http://youtu.be/hjHlXUnh-f0?hd=1

PwtrSS_OakCliff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I decided that issue #1 could be a lot of things and I'm guessing it's related to what everyone here has been telling me. I'll live with it for now and if it gets worse I'll have to dig around some more to come up with a solution. In the meantime I didn't get a chance to upload a video on it but I'll try to post it up this weekend.

******What kind of oil are you running on your truck. If your using 5w30 that may be a problem. If your able to after you have done and done research, change the oil to a more thicker oil. Viscosity might not be thick enough that is if its your valve train.. rockers, lifters etc.

On another hand, I've got a weird issue that just started... There's this "ticking/clicking" noise coming from the steering wheel and I can't seem to figure wtf it is! It's annoying the hell out of me and I want to get it fixed ASAP so here's a video of the sound I'm hearing internally, I'm hoping you all can give me some insight! Again, thanks ahead of time y'all!

******I personally think something is lose in there. If you hold it tight and the noise stops than it has to be something lose. From a rational stand point we have to think about what can make this noise. Electrical problem will not cause this sound. Was this truck ever broken into or tried to be stolen? I think something is lose..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoeR4065