I need help! My truck won't start!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2002 burb. 5.3 flex

So this morning I hit the remote start from inside the house only to come out and here my truck cranking away and not turning over!

Okay, no fuel. Take another vehicle, get gas and dump it in.

Truck still wont start.

I can hear the fuel pump priming. Its noisier than normal but I can hear it for about 5 seconds.

I took out all the plugs...They all had some bubbles of gas on them and smell strongly of fuel. I cleaned them all up and put them back in.

Battery is still giving me cranking voltage.

All fuses appear to be in good working order.

What the hell is going on in there!?!?

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pull #1 spark plug wire off, push in old plug or nail, hold it near block, have buddie crank. be warned potential shock hazard.

got spark?
no, dig deeper find problem.

OP
OP
electro

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have spark.

I'm going to go with fuel pump. Even though I can hear it priming it doesn't sound very nice.

I also disconnect fuel line at fuel rail. Minimal flow at most. $&@$?!$&$!!!!!!!!

Going to check out the used option.

Maybe new with a warranty would be nice.

-5 degrees Celsius is as warm as its gonna get. Not too bad. Should be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

Okay, sooooo....

Fuel pump time.

Do I need to buy the whole thing or can I buy pump separately?

skaffy03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, i know there are such things as fuel pump rebuild kits.. my dad bought one for my moms van for $40 and it has since gone 70k miles, no problems. (one problem was that the 25 gallon tank was full....)

I also have had issues that sound similar to yours, but it was my Grand Prix that did that. I had a two speed fuel pump and the high speed side of pump relay stopped working. I dunno if the Tahoes/yukons have that or not. Shortly after fixing my relay for the fuel pump, my car would not start at all. It would try, but never start. It turned out to be a faulty MAF. All I did was unplug and it fired up (ran like poo, though). Just some more things to check into

Vinniety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the fuel pump module from the dealer. I didnt want to do this again. Dropping the tank is a pain especially on your back. The module contained the entire drop in tank assembly. Fuel pump, gas gauge sender and what ever else it was. $345 with my discount. I also changed out fuel filter why i was under there. Do a Google search you will see all the articles that people have stated they had to replace there pump after two three years. You might get lucky and I hope you do if you use the no name brands.

saltygq

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I have spark.

I'm going to go with fuel pump. Even though I can hear it priming it doesn't sound very nice.

I also disconnect fuel line at fuel rail. Minimal flow at most. $&@$?!$&$!!!!!!!!

Going to check out the used option.

Maybe new with a warranty would be nice.

-5 degrees Celsius is as warm as its gonna get. Not too bad. Should be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

Okay, sooooo....

Fuel pump time.

Do I need to buy the whole thing or can I buy pump separately?

Were you able to get the truck running?

OP
OP
electro

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey !

Ya! Truck is running again.

Replaced fuel pump and voila.

I got a used pump out of the junkyard for $160 and changed it myself on my back. Saved me a few bucks for sure. I'll do it again too, but I think next time will be on my own terms as I plan to regularly observe fuel pressure to keep a better eye on fuel pump condition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52

Latest posts