I need some insight on a motor swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
If you do not need a new engine now, save up for a 6.0L that you can upgrade with choice parts.
Same goes for the 4L60E - although, if you plan on working or playing hard with your XL, a 4L80E may be wiser in the very extreme long run.

If you've enough space to store a 6.0L V8 and a 4L60E, search the junkyards, buy them, get them rebuilt / upgraded to your taste, THEN install them in your XL whenever you bloody well feel like it.

If not:
change the engine oil every 4000 miles or less with synthetic - preferably GroupIV synthetic
change the ATF every 2 years or 40,000 miles with DexRon6
Well the reason I'm looking at new motors is because I believe that the main bearing on my crank is loping, I still have to get a video up but the sound only happens when I take my foot off the gas

OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
No.
Rear axle, transmission, THEN engine.
Upgrading the axle will actually make things easier on the 4L60E, it might even last a lil bit longer.
Upgrading the 4L60E before the engine will ensure that it can handle the upcoming engine upgrade.

If you upgrade the engine before the 4L60E, and then the 4L60E breaks before you're ready to rebuild / upgrade it, you may curse yself for not heeding this advice, especially if your significant other manages to hold it over your head and convinces you to drive a cheezyer vehicle.

For best results, upgrade vehicles from back to front, and from bottom up.
Ok thank you for the advice and for clarifying

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If forced to do axle-engine-transmission in that order, and you upgrade to a 6.0L, drive the 6.0L GENTLY til you upgrade the 4L60E, so you aren't ramming all 360FtLb through the 4L60E. (It only makes all 360FtLb if/when you lean on it.)

OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
If forced to do axle, engine, transmission in that order, and you upgrade to a 6.0L, drive the 6.0L GENTLY til you upgrade the 4L60E, so you aren't ramming all 360FtLb through the 4L60E.
If I stay with a 5.3, would that same rule apply? Being gentle till I can upgrade the transmission?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Obviously, but I'd rather get hit hard in the head with a wiffle ball bat, than gently tapped with a wooden one. Know what I mean?

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Transmission & torque converter first, since you want to 'launch' better.... 4.11 gears? Great if you don't drive a lot of freeway....

Remember.... these SUVs are a tank that rides nice !!

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transmission & torque converter first, since you want to 'launch' better ... 4.11? Great if you don't drive a lot of freeway ...
If he rebuilds the 4L60E, that in and of itself will not help him LAUNCH more quickly.
If he upgrades the torque converter, does not do enough research, and buys the wrong one, he'll lose low load / light throttle drivability, lose metro / urban MpG, and will still be held back by 3.42.
Plus a torque converter upgrade also requires an ATF cooler upgrade if you want the transmission to last.

All that'll cost more than a 4.10 WITH a torque-sensing limited slip diff, and the XL with 4.10 will still beat it in a race too.
All while getting better metro / urban MpG and keeping the 4L60E cooler.

(Nothing personal, mountie ...)

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man that 4.10 will have nothing on the highway, 3.73 is bad enough all petered out before 100mph, maybe if you have something big enough to get more out of it..
nice light to light but meh....
personal choice I guess, I like a little top end myself

OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
If he rebuilds the 4L60E, that in and of itself will not help him LAUNCH more quickly.
If he upgrades the torque converter, does not do enough research, and buys the wrong one, he'll lose low load / light throttle drivability, lose metro / urban MpG, and will still be held back by 3.42.
Plus a torque converter upgrade also requires an ATF cooler upgrade if you want the transmission to last.

All that'll cost more than a 4.10 WITH a torque-sensing limited slip diff, and the XL with 4.10 will still beat it in a race too.

Ok so if I rebuild the 4l60e with a new or upgraded torque converter along with a 4.10 diff, would I have any problems? If so what should I address or how should I address it?

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score

No problem...... I just don't see the point to 'hot rod' a Tahoe or Yukon XL.... I am the type to make it efficient and reliable, ..... keep it maintained and it drives pretty good.

The only thing I wish to improve on my Yukon XL is to stiffen up the 'sway' in a turn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
res51cue