I need some insight on a motor swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then don't waste your money. If you must spend, do so wisely, get more bang for your buck.
Your SPID sticker says GU6.
Unfortunately, GU6 is 3.42, which sucks sweaty arse.
You could very easily upgrade that RWD axle from 3.42, to 4.10, AND add a torque sensing limited slip differential, for UNDER $1900.

(That $3800 engine - before installation - could be replicated or even improved upon, for $2850 installed, by a clever shopper with time on his side.)

Back to topic:
4.10 would actually be a good investment, as your metro / urban stop'n'go MpG would actually improve.
4.10 MIGHT cost 2 - 4 highway MpG, depending on how you drive it, but it might be worth the extra SMILES per gallon to you.

My Tahoe has GT4 - that's 3.73 - and I'm sorely dissatisfied; I want 4.10 myself, as soon as I can afford it.
If I had your XL, just before the pcm retune that you should also do, I'd've corrected GM's mistake of 3.42, and upgraded to 4.10.
You could sell that 3.73 to me. I have to change the front diff to 3.73 too right?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there anywhere I could find a chart or something that explains the glovebox list?? I'll definitely look into a new diff also
You may find this useful.

Attachments

• 2007 YD Printbook for RPO Codes.pdf
    133.3 KB · Views: 3

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No problem...... I just don't see the point to 'hot rod' a Tahoe or Yukon XL.... I am the type to make it efficient and reliable, ..... keep it maintained and it drives pretty good.

The only thing I wish to improve on my Yukon XL is to stiffen up the 'sway' in a turn.
Hellwig sway bars will make huge improvements in turns.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If handling is your forte, IMO the Hellwig bars and load range E stiffer sidewalls that are aired up close to the max load rating recommendations, will give you the best feel. I am not so much a fast engine type of guy. I do have a "traditional tune" from BBP and I think the transmission shifting points changes make the bigger difference. Engine reliability is my main concern. I don't care about cushy ride as much as great grip and the ability to "throw" the rig in to a turn or curve or quick response need.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am still wondering if the cost of a BlackBear 'mild tune' is really worth the expense, since driving a Yukon XL isn't anywhere near a Nissan 370Z. I completely agree with your post. I spent years as a performance driving instructor. I know how to enter-exit any turn, SMOOTHLY, even if it is a little aggressive. The sway from this Yukon is annoying. Especially if I must perform an 'accident evasion maneuver'..... I don't want to make any extra corrections because the truck is wobbly....

( About the hellwig sway bars.... They suggest using the 'farthest' hole mount first to feel the response, then adjust later if wanted. Out of the 3 holes, I am wondering if the middle hole is the choice?

Attachments

• Hellwig swaybar adjustment choice.jpg
    Hellwig swaybar adjustment choice.jpg
    413.9 KB · Views: 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Queen_313