Idiots Are Everywhere!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My son just retired from the AF. Started his 2nd career still working for them. He tells me AF Boot Camp nowadays is a picnic. They cry and they time out to console themselves. And he even says 20 yrs ago it was a breeze. Not like Army Boot Camp back in '71. For me it was exactly like Full Metal Jacket. Bunch of sissies and trans now.
Exactly! The Coast Guard recruits were carrying little time out cards in their back pockets during the Obama Administration. So when a recruit was being overwhelmed learning what it took to be a man, they could reach into their back pocket and flash the little time out card in the drill instructors face and he had to let off. Of course, this was just the time that a breakthrough would happen and they would be learning. Ridiculous.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly! The Coast Guard recruits were carrying little time out cards in their back pockets during the Obama Administration. So when a recruit was being overwhelmed learning what it took to be a man, they could reach into their back pocket and flash the little time out card in the drill instructors face and he had to let off. Of course, this was just the time that a breakthrough would happen and they would be learning. Ridiculous.
Too much! And everyone wonders what's happened to the USA. Did they get a "Participation Award" too? Oh wait, of course they did.... All other countries laugh at us.
But I digress, back to topic... I marked a couple bolts and threads. The new transmission is purty. Has a fresh paint job. Personally, I'd prefer the bare, clean look of a hot tanked core but I guess that's what everyone is doing these days.

Efingee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I must have a Disaster Magnet on me. Had the Transmission replaced on the '05 Yukon. Got home and went to file the paperwork and noticed it didn't say anything anywhere regarding the Rear Main Seal. Paid what was quoted for it though. So I called the shop and asked him if maybe he just forgot to write it on the RO. Well he went out to the shop and found the new GM Seal still in it's box. Apparently, one tech got hurt and another took over and then being short handed was pulled off it a couple times. I'm debating whether I want the transmission pulled again. Guy says he'll do it, it's his mistake. Even says he'll drive to my house to pick it up. I just don't know. It's not currently leaking. But with my Irish Luck it will start right after the 2 yr warranty runs out! Then I'd have to pay probably $400 or so... What would you do?
(singing "tied to the whippin post")
Shops are struggling right now. Everyone makes mitsakes I doubt it was intentional.
Many mechanics post and help out in here. Just sayin.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shops are struggling right now. Everyone makes mitsakes I doubt it was intentional.
Many mechanics post and help out in here. Just sayin.
I'm sorry, but I just had to laugh when I read "Everyone makes mitsakes"! That's classical. Now you have to see that as funny yourself right? I get what you're saying, and I really think it's good that he's admitting it. I think these days most would try to pass it off.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
While I was ready, willing and able to learn repairs/maintenance from my dad as I grew up, my main goal was to be a photographer and I learned that and strived for that and when I was in the service, I was a photographer in the Navy on the aircraft carrier I was on. Got out and finding a job as a photographer as a photo journalist was just not happening. My uncle was an aircraft mechanic in the Korean War and he got tired of seeing me lazy around and drink beer with my friends and he put me to work at his auto repair shop in Paradise, Ca. and I learned how to diagnose and repair vehicles of all types. I moved back to KC, Mo. and again tried to find a photo journalist job but again only wedding and portrait photography was open. I said hell no. My mom needed a car repair and I was out of town and she took to a shop and what she told me over the phone that the shop said was needed for her car did not make sense and I called my uncle and he agreed with me. She waited till I got back in town and all she needed was a vacuum hose and a carb adjustment. I was pissed to say the least. I signed up for some tech courses and got hired as a tech and swore to never ever try to sell someone something on their vehicle that was not needed. 10 years as a tech and 20+ years as a service manager/writer and I slept good at night because I kept my promise. I always offered to show a customer what I found was wrong and why it was wrong. My shops stayed busy and I never worked at a dealership. Did not trust them. Always the mom and pop 5 days a week shops.

As has been shared here, I am as OCD as they come and love the feeling of diagnosing a problem correctly and the feeling I get on the road test that it is fixed correctly. I think most all techs start out wanting to do right then they get lazy or work for someone that shows them how to scam/rip off. It is a shame because it does damage the profession when the scam artists sully the field.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's why I use the caveat, "Generally Speaking". Those kinds are a treasure, like the Burken boys and my girls and many others on here too!

I remember when I was a kid in the Sea Cadets, the WW2 veterans were often disgusted by us, they were a lot tougher than we were or my father's generation! LOL
My brother is one, 24 years old and works 12s 6 days a week. The daughters friend is another, had 2 jobs in high school and went into the USMC right out of HS. Got a medical discharge for getting hurt in boot camp.. working now and doing physical therapy and wants to try for the army when she is healed up enough.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well crap, remember what I said about the magnet on me and my "Irish Luck"? Well now it appears this new transmission is ticking, or clicking, or tapping when it's hot. Doesn't do it cold, just hot. So, even without it going back for the Rear Main Seal I'd have to send it back anyways. So, what's the most common cause? I'm thinking maybe they cracked the flex plate? Or it's a bad Torque Converter? Or the starter needs shimed? Bolts too long, loose? Bad pump? Whatever it is it didn't do that before. If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all, right?