Installed - Gmx550 Lockpick In 2008 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ckl5899

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bmwme, You would still need to pull the dash to change settings or add features. Glovebox is more accessable. Just my $.02!

bmwme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bmwme, You would still need to pull the dash to change settings or add features. Glovebox is more accessable. Just my $.02!

It might be, not sure didn't look into it, but I don't have to pull the dash to change anything except for the dip switches, but why would I need to do that?

I have the USB cable, ipod cable, and headrest output cables running out the same spot. So I can update the LP without taking out the unit if that's what you are refering to.

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey bmwme and ckl5899,

Can you guys post pics of your installs? I also found it impossible to stuff my GMX550 behind the stereo so I just ran everything into the glove compartment. The box and everything are literally in the glove compartment which essentially renders it useless. I have no idea how people fit the stuff under the cupholders. I pulled the cupholders and I don't see much room under there either.

You guys have the GMX550 or the gen 6 LP? I think the GMX is even bulkier?

ckl5899

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GMX550, pull the glove box down by pushing the tab located on top and the glove box should drop right down. You can then stuff the box ontop of the XM box or on top of the factory sup. Lots of space behind the glove box!!

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GMX550, pull the glove box down by pushing the tab located on top and the glove box should drop right down. You can then stuff the box ontop of the XM box or on top of the factory sup. Lots of space behind the glove box!!

I'll have to take another look. I looked back there when I installed my Blue fusion unit. It's box is very small and when I stuck it on the XM tuner, I could not close the glove box. I ended up sticking the Bluefusion to the right side on some metal.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=330217&postcount=23

I'll take a look above the tuner.

bmwme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey does anyone ever have their LP lock up (no pun intended)? Ive had it lock up twice now when scrolling through the menu. I think both times it got stuck on "Front Camera" but I can't remember exactly. It pisses me off because I can't do anything until I turn off the truck and open the door! Even then sometimes it stays locked. I just saw their is V1.3 software available (I have 1.2) but it says nothing about fixes, just a couple additions that I don't care about.

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ckl5899,

You were right. I was able to stuff the GMX550 above and behind the XM tuner. I saw a grid like thing with foam back there. Hopefully it's nothing delicate that'll get damaged by having the box up against it. Sure is nice to have an empty glove compartment again.

bmwme,

I have not had the GMX550 freeze up on me once the stereo is on. I have had issues with the stereo not wanting to turn on after starting my truck, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No Life Jr