Installed - Gmx550 Lockpick In 2008 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

plush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, i just installed mine tonight. I was able toput it right where they show in the video (above the XM box). I ran the apple cord under the cup holder, cut hold in the center console and plugged in my iPhone.

Couple of questions:

Can you watch a video not only on the front screen but the pull down screen in the back?

It won't let me switch to DVD in motion, how do you change this? I can change to Nav in motion using the scroll screen but it shows DVD in motion, just won't let me push the play/pause button to turn it on.

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you watch a video not only on the front screen but the pull down screen in the back?

It won't let me switch to DVD in motion, how do you change this? I can change to Nav in motion using the scroll screen but it shows DVD in motion, just won't let me push the play/pause button to turn it on.

You should always be able to watch a video on the rear screen. But yes, the GMX550 lets you watch the same video front and rear at the same time.

As far as your DVD in motion, something is wrong. It should activate the same way you activate your Nav in motion.

Do you have any other black boxes hooked up to the truck?

plush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should always be able to watch a video on the rear screen. But yes, the GMX550 lets you watch the same video front and rear at the same time.

As far as your DVD in motion, something is wrong. It should activate the same way you activate your Nav in motion.

Do you have any other black boxes hooked up to the truck?

DVD, hmm, do I need to hit any other buttons? Or should it just start playing?

Black boxes, no.

plush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All was fixed when i got my BB tune. Justin said that resetting the computer which is done, cleared up any issues I was having.

However, I am still having issues using some of the sterring wheel controls some of the time. Sometimes they work, others not.

vanvalks

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Man this lockpick thing really sounds like a piece of junk, I think someone should disconnect theirs and sell it to me at an extremely discounted rate :)

Any takers?!

KMcCoy33

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Installed my GMX550 yesterday in 2011 XL Denali. I was excited to try everything out and for the most part was pretty happy.

Then started seeing navigation issues. The signal loss from the GPS is normal from what I can tell when using any functions, but I did not expect it to occur after things have been turned off. It seems to take a much longer time to pick it up with this thing installed.

The worst part - the navigation system (not using any of the functions) seems to lose where I am. Today - had me about 8 miles back from where I actually was. Sometimes turning the car off will fix it. Other times, I disconnected the battery and then waited for the GPS to sync back to find me. My experience with the navigation post install has not been good.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the issues get worked out, but after a firmware update or two, this thing might be coming out if I still experience the same issues. It costs too much to not feel good about having it in.

mikey42_69

Reaction score
Installed my GMX550 yesterday in 2011 XL Denali. I was excited to try everything out and for the most part was pretty happy.

Then started seeing navigation issues. The signal loss from the GPS is normal from what I can tell when using any functions, but I did not expect it to occur after things have been turned off. It seems to take a much longer time to pick it up with this thing installed.

The worst part - the navigation system (not using any of the functions) seems to lose where I am. Today - had me about 8 miles back from where I actually was. Sometimes turning the car off will fix it. Other times, I disconnected the battery and then waited for the GPS to sync back to find me. My experience with the navigation post install has not been good.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the issues get worked out, but after a firmware update or two, this thing might be coming out if I still experience the same issues. It costs too much to not feel good about having it in.

I have the same problems with it. Turning on and off the car most of the time works but then you have to stop on the side of the road anyways and I bought this unit so I don have to stop. Right? Sometimes I turn on and then off then exit the menu then get back in and turn it on and off and exit. That fixes it Most of the time. If all else fails I have to tun on and off the truck. I have never had to disconnect the battery. I have a 2011 Denali. Also sucks that to play an iPod video it uses the rear view camera screen.

bmwme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No it isn't perfect but the only thing on the market with so many features and ipod control. Hopefully a future firmware update will fix some of these annoances. I have noticed that you HAVE to manually disable NAV in Motion even after you turn the car off and back on. The menu will say "off" but I've found turning it on and back off will fix the NAV issues most of the time.

On the topic of ipod control. Is there a way to change tracks with the wheel controls while playing MP3s stored on the ipod/iphone? I can pause and navigate the menu but I can't figure out how to change tracks.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The more time I have mine the more I hate it. And I have it in two vehicles too... I noticed it degrades the sound quality through my iPhone 4 via the 30 pin dock connector. Music at the higher octaves sound scratchy compared to just using an auxiliary 3.5mm cable.

Autbond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that the iPod video nor the iPod interface for music works with iOS 5? I called the company and they said that they were waiting on Apple to come out with an update for video out and that was why it didn't work. Is this true, or were they just trying to get off the phone?