Installed - Gmx550 Lockpick In 2008 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikey42_69

Reaction score
Well I'm going to have to check on the way home today. I went to use NAV for the first time since installing LP, I was driving so I figured I better turn on the NAV in motion feature, I did then I set my directions to home while still driving. I clicked go and she said "proceed to highlighted route" which was wierd because I was on a main road, but then after a minute I realized it had no idea where I was and the screen would only change compass direction and not anything else. So it just sat there on some street unknown to me and never moved. I left it on for a good 5 minutes so I'm not sure if the 60 second feature should have kicked in.

Does this sound right or no? I'll try using it without changing the NAV in motion feature in the LP.

I just installed mine and I have the same problems. Do you know which is the GPS antenna cable? Is it the same as the XM antenna?

bmwme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this off the subject but I have a 07 Yukon denali xl came with xm Bose rear video ent. I bought a navi unit #15882766 with antenna and back up cam and a wire harness. It came out of an 07 burban it also has the same options I have. I hook the antenna up but not the camera yet or the brown connector. ( I figured since my truck already had a brown connector I didn't need to connect it) so I hook the navi up and got a theft lock. I took it to a place that could take the old vin out and it worked everything works but no sound. The guy I got it from said that everything worked. Do it have something to do with that brown he gave me? Green wire yellow RCA red and black wire that has 07 08 Yukon Denali only. Can anyone help me?
Brandon

This really needs to be in another topic. Your question will get lost here.

---------- Post added at 08:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 AM ----------

I just installed mine and I have the same problems. Do you know which is the GPS antenna cable? Is it the same as the XM antenna?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it is the single wire with the plastic connector next to the AM/FM antenna cable. I took my GMx550 out and the GPS still didn't work so I knew that wasn't it. I pulled all the wires and hooked everything back up again and it works now. So I'm not sure what I fixed.

I do feel like the accuracy might be off a bit though, it seems like the locator always about 50 feet behind where I actually am. Who knows.

bmwme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UGH, so I'm having issues again. Brief overview: I installed the GMX550 and immediately the NAV was unresponsive. I unplugged it the GMX and I removed the GPS disc and unplugged and recomnnected all the wires to the unit and it started working again. So I reinstalled the GMX and it seemed fine.

Monday I get into my truck after being at the driving range for an hour and when the truck turned on the radio didn't. I tried pushing all the buttons and nothing. So I turned the truck off and back on, and it allowed me to remove and reinstalled a CD I had in the player, then it turned on. But now my NAV is screwed up again!

I like some of the features of the GMX but I can't deal with this all the time. Any ideas?

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I continue to find the electronics in my truck glitchy. can't figure out if it is a GM issue, a GMX550 issue, or an incompatibility issue between the GMX and my BlueFusion unit.

Anyhow, every now and then the radio won't turn on. hitting the cd eject button always solves that.

sometimes my nav will be off because i activate nav in motion which disables the gps. after turning off nav in motion the nav eventually figures out where I am.

every now and then i can't get the GMX menu in the instrument cluster to turn off. the menu continues to be displayed even if i'm trying to push the dash buttons to view the odometer and stuff. doesn't revert to normal until i turn off the truck.

other than that i feel the pluses outweigh the minuses...but not by as much as i had hoped. :(

mikey42_69

Reaction score
I continue to find the electronics in my truck glitchy. can't figure out if it is a GM issue, a GMX550 issue, or an incompatibility issue between the GMX and my BlueFusion unit.

Anyhow, every now and then the radio won't turn on. hitting the cd eject button always solves that.

sometimes my nav will be off because i activate nav in motion which disables the gps. after turning off nav in motion the nav eventually figures out where I am.

every now and then i can't get the GMX menu in the instrument cluster to turn off. the menu continues to be displayed even if i'm trying to push the dash buttons to view the odometer and stuff. doesn't revert to normal until i turn off the truck.

other than that i feel the pluses outweigh the minuses...but not by as much as i had hoped. :(

I found out that when you have the DVD in motion on it is supposed to turn off the GPS so that it tricks the truck into thinking your at a complete stop so that you can use the DVD. You have to keep it always off until you need to use the DVD function of the lockpick. The lockpick should always be off all settings when you don't need it and the truck should be back to normal. That is what I do and now everything works great.

d0n

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
...The lockpick should always be off all settings when you don't need it and the truck should be back to normal. That is what I do and now everything works great.

Wish I'd read that before I ordered mine. No worries. As long as I can still play my iPod and punch in directions while rolling it'll be worth it even if it requires a few extra steps. I'll be installing mine this weekend and as a result of this thread I'll be setting the unit by the XM module behind the glove box.

bmwme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is definately a bit glitchy. I have had it lock up (no pun intended) a few times. It is doing a lot of stuff in that little box, but it of course would be nice to have it be 100% reliable. It isn't exactly cheap...

I don't use the iphone hookup as much as I thought I would. The wheel control features are utterly confusing, and I can't get the iphone images to show up on the NAV screen every time. Maybe some day they will figure out how to integrate the GMX into the touchscreen. That would be sweet.

My favorite feature is being able to turn the rear camera on. I use it when I'm backing up to my race trailer. I can pretty much get the truck in the exact positition to lower the trailer onto the ball hitch, but without the lockpick the camera turns off every time you take it out of reverse so being able to leave the camera on is awesome.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm the only one that has the lockpick and has no problems with it... My only gripe is how thick the iPod dock connector cable is. I have it in both vehicles and have it ran to the center console. It's hard to close the center console lid when using the dock connector cable since the cable is absurdly thick.

atalakoub

Reaction score
I guess I'm the only one that has the lockpick and has no problems with it... My only gripe is how thick the iPod dock connector cable is. I have it in both vehicles and have it ran to the center console. It's hard to close the center console lid when using the dock connector cable since the cable is absurdly thick.

I also do not have any issues with it. I ran the cable out the bottom of the center console so it sits between the driver's seat and the center console. It also reaches the back seat. I have the lockpick sitting under the cupholders.

I have an 07 LT3 with the GMX550, New VCIM, and 2011 map disk.

stgolling

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I have had the same problem. The compass portion works fine, but you aren't actually moving on the streets -- it's iffy; somedays are better than others. I do like being able to activate front video while moving (no more of a distratction than GPS, IMHO)...and when towing, activating the rear camera is super helpful watching my trailer load. Sometimes watching my trailer load fall off but that's another story....

Connected with Motorola IHF 1000 for BT phone (no BT 2.0 so no streaming stereo..)

Main issue now is "No XM Signal"....checked, removed Lockpick, reinstalled, and still no XM. Cannot figure it out. Anyone else having any XM issues now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rongomer