iphone with usb port

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IrishTR

Reaction score
Another update: New iPhone 4 out of box works perfectly. USB port allows full music play, full Nav display playlist/artist/etc. navigation, power to iPhone. iPhone still reports the accessory error but it doesn't seem to have any issue. iPhone 4 is running OS4.2.

Unplug iPhone 4 and replace with iPhone 3GS w/OS4.2 and I get power to the iPhone through USB, Nav display shows playlist/artist/etc. but music will only play for about 10 seconds.

What could be different between the physical devices that the system wouldn't like? Note I have a 2010 Yukokn Denali with rear DVD and NAV.

You sure your on 4.2? Just curious because I thought 4.1 was just released wondering if yet another update came up and I missed it. I will tell you these friggin iphone acting as ipods with cars are being a PITA... In my 2010 Acura TL I get the same problems as described here. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt... PITA... My 08 Denali though doesnt have factory usb but I got the LockPick Ipod device combo and it works like a champ...

In my Acura I basically just use an ipod classic and let the iphone hookup via bluetooth. Its a constraint between Apple and vehicle manufactures. They basically get old specs to create cars and by time car is released with generally unchangeable factory software Apple on the other hand has changed its software rendering the factory systems useless most of the time. And do they care hell no they expect everyone else to fix their problems they claim they dont have...

PITA I feel everyones pain here... Sorry for the rant but this crap pisses me off because neither company (Car) or Apple want to take responsibility to resolve the damn problem its just a finger pointing game!

IrishTR

Reaction score

Yup a conglomerate of problems all around connection issues, scratching etc all boils down to software... Just takes one side to update and of course Apple isnt gonna change their ways, they expect others to follow, and GM surely isnt gonna update anything except a new model! So the chasing of the tail begins. Either way I think both sides should be held accountable for their technology blunders! OR just dont advertise it as such if its not testing and working 100%

Sadly this all relates to iphone/ipod touch... No problems with the nanos, classics, or shuffles. Which points right at iOS! SIGH... Love my iphone hate Apple! Friggin love hate relationships!

LTZ123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi - this is my first post to the forum. Just bought a 2011 LTZ with Touch Nav/DVD rear on Saturday (48th birthday) - I love it. Am also a Mac user with Iphone 4, USB thumb drive, and Iphone 3G.

Same problem with Iphone 4 - (accessory error message; plug in and it displays and operates well - but then goes silent shortly thereafter, despite reconnecting cables). Presently a the workaround for thumbdrive works (although I can't figure out how to make playlists); and the problem seems to be resolved entirely using Iphone 3G w/OS 4.0.x (older version of OS).

Just a suggestion:

I'd suggest that APPLE should be alerted to the problem, not necessarily GM. GM can only react to Apple's constant updates of its OS, so even if GM fixes the compatibility with Iphone 4 and OS 4.1 today - then those fixes may be worthless as soon as Apple issues it's next update 4.1.x; or when it issues a new OS entirely.

In general the Apple OS updates/changes much faster than we change our cars headunits; or our iphones. Apple's updates also tend to be backwards compatible for hardware. No? So hopefully Apple fixes the compatibility issue for all older Ipods/Iphones and Tahoes together both now, and going forward.

Hope this helps. Strangely - I'm happy that my old inactive Iphone 3G with an old OS 4.0.x now has some additional usefulness.

Good luck.

Last edited:

LTZ123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wrote to Steve Jobs today - shortly after posting and pointed him to our website here:

"Dear Mr. Jobs:

"When connecting Iphone 4 to my 2011 GM Chevy Tahoe via the car's usb connection - it displays nicely and works - but only for a short while. Afterwards it goes silent and will only work briefly if dis/re connected although the on-screen display looks normal.

As a workaround - a USB thumbdrive, or an old Iphone 3G with 4.0.x OS works decently.

GM and Apple have both seemed to shrug their shoulders as to who to speak to - so I was hoping you could provide guidance on the issue? FWIW - it is discussed among many GM forums, including http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=233368#post233368

Thank you for your insight and/or suggestions for whom I could contact.

Best regards,

[LTZ123]"

Here is the response I just received from Apple - about 3 hours later:

"Dear [LTZ123]:

Hope this finds you well. I saw your note on your Tahoe experiences and wanted to reach out, I sit in the product team that looks after our work with the automotive OEMs.
The audio fall out your experiencing looks like something we're helping GM fix, but just to be sure I've sent excerpts of your note to the team we work with and we'll check this again with your description.

I'll let you know shortly once I hear back, but I just wanted to get a note out to you so you knew people were looking into this for you.

Hope you are enjoying the Tahoe otherwise, they've done a nice job with it I think.

Thanks,

jeff [Maranhas]

Last edited:

StevenFromTexas

Mr. Negative
Reaction score
It appears that the latest Apple update to their operating system has rendered useless the USB ports of a stunning number of vehicles when using an iPhone or iPod touch. Maybe the scheduled update next month will fix the problem Apple created. Then again, maybe not.

Last edited:

LTZ123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am as surprised as anyone - got another email from Jeff Maranhas today asking for pictures of my head unit. Sent them over and he responded again (4th email from him) saying he'll keep us informed.

Can only hope.

FWIW - my Iphone 3G is working great (has an older OS). Buying an older version Ipod may be cheaper and easier than some of the other workarounds - and provides a lot of user-functionality.

Will keep you guys informed. X your fingers that this guy Maranhas is legit. A google search seems to verify that he's a "somebody" at Apple. We'll see....

stillh2o

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Iphone issue

I have a 2011 Avalanche with the same issue. After connecting the iphone thru the USB port it does not play music. It is as if there is no data. However I connected my wifes iphone and there is no problems at all. It seems as if the latest up dates (after the introduction of the new Iphone came out) screwed every up! The reason that I say this is because my wife never syncs her phone and it works fine! This is a microsoft issue not GM's. I am sure of this because I also test drove a new Camaro (NICE) and the POS phone did not work in that platform radio either. Thus it is definatley the phone not the car!

Last edited:

khannapa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Add another one to the list. My brand new 2010 Yukon Denali won't recognize my Ipod Touch. Very frustrated. 1/10 times it will recognize it, but the response is spotty and then it quits.

I will tell you that I had a better luck BEFORE the iPod's moved to the latest iOS version, so tere may be a correlation where the latest iOS is not compatible with the GM Entertainment console.

Does anyone know if GM or Apple is aware of this problem and is offering a fix/firmware update/etc.?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helmetgurus