Is E85 in the winter bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m reading that it can cause rougher idle and other symptoms in cold weather because it takes longer to vaporize? I’m thinking about switching back to 87 this winter. It’s already below 40 on the regular and it’s gonna get colder until
It hits -40 with windchill this winter

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m reading that it can cause rougher idle and other symptoms in cold weather because it takes longer to vaporize? I’m thinking about switching back to 87 this winter. It’s already below 40 on the regular and it’s gonna get colder until
possibly, e85 burns cooler I have been running it this late summer with no issue's and as soon as the weather cooled off I am now getting a p0420 code that I have not resolved yet trying to burn up the last of th e85 in the tank to see what happens a 50/50 mix is not working for me. I will note my cat's are aftermarket so they may not be as efficient as oem.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have run nothing but E85 for the last 3 years here in Colorado I haven't experienced anything bad. This includes morning drives at -20 degrees.
I have run E85 year round here in Wisconsin year round with no issues.

X3, in Colorado. In order to promote normal cold starts, the percentage of ethanol in the winter mix may be reduced by the gas station, or you can mix in some E10 or E15 to dilute it a bit. But the gas station percentage should be monitored to determine if that's the case.

Ultimately if your truck has difficulty starting (mostly this will be experienced as longer crank time) in the cold, either switch to E10 or dilute your E85. I haven't had to myself, and I'm above 6,000 ft AMSL, where it gets plenty cold, with 70% ethanol in the tank. Last Monday the a.m. temp was 6° F.

dillpickle1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know i
I know in the winter they dilute E85 to be E70

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCoca