Just bought a 2012 Tahoe LTZ noticing i`m hearing the air ride pump alot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ILOVELONGISLAND

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Guys......... So the Tahoe I bought a few weeks ago has had several surprises... The latest seems to be the air ride pump, i can hear it, quite often..The other day I thought a helicopter was landing outside the truck, i turned off the ignition key and it dissapeared, The trucks got 125k on it. Any idea how long i can expect it to fail?? Did you guys do a conversion over to regular coil springs ????

Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
air pump will turn on for a few seconds any time you start it. it's a test it runs, let's our a psi and then pumps it back.

after that it really shouldn't run much unless there's a leak. you're honest pretty close to when they usually start leaking. my 2011 went at 140k ish.

you can replace them with just shocks and springs, but it sounds like your pump itself is good since it's running. if you plan to ever tow anything. it's usually best to just buy replacement shocks. it might cost a little more, but usually the best.

I believe I've read the new replacement oem gm ones have a good warranty

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Two things require immediate action.

1) Check for leaks on the rubber bellows of the rear struts with soap suds. Buy the kind of leak detector that’s florescent yellow or green at the hardware store plumbers use.

2) After the leak is ruled out or found, disconnect the pump at the fuse. It’ll save the pump from crispy frying itself. The OEM air pumps aren’t equipped with a self resetting (thermal overload) fuse or carry a lifetime guarantee like Arnott units.

The replacement z55 rear active struts are about $3H ea at Rock Auto, guaranteed for life. Considering the dealership still charges $5-$8h each, buying them at R/A for $3h is a smoking deal. Two bolts and a clip hold each strut in.

* OEM 2WD strut/bag is # part 580193

* OEM 4WD strut/bag is # part 5801090

Grab the 5% off discount code off the internet for R/A and buy the new bags if they’re leaking. Disconnect the fuse for the pump asap to save it. It’s a once in a lifetime deal LOL.

solli5pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or goes with these for about $300 total. So far so good 1 year later...

1000003539.jpg

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Vigor has completely bleach sanitized the interwebs of the physical location and phone numbers. There’s no negative feedback, information about their officers, factory / facilities or ANY way to reach them for customer service except a .com email address or chat bot.

Do you really want to purchase from a company that designates
you can’t pretend to be someone else or refuse that you’ll be satisfied with your purchase?

Are they made in USA or …

For giggles & kick I gave them a good search online. Vigor is a ghost. Check out some of their Corp Regulations….

95BB672E-C0DC-477D-ABB9-6BFB3A862EC6.jpeg
81B91E81-917D-458E-A167-3AE232D255A0.jpeg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vigor has completely bleach sanitized the interwebs of the physical location and phone numbers. There’s no negative feedback, information about their officers, factory / facilities or ANY way to reach them for customer service except a .com email address or chat bot.

Do you really want to purchase from a company that designates
you can’t pretend to be someone else or refuse that you’ll be satisfied with your purchase?

Are they made in USA or …

For giggles & kick I gave them a good search online. Vigor is a ghost. Check out some of their Corp Regulations….

View attachment 430629
View attachment 430630
no experience with them myself, but found some reviews on judge_me and they respond
but experience shows cheap parts "normally" do not last, but every once in a while something works out

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Thanks for that. It shows the owner or Principal is Mike Ma based out of BC Canada. The address on their website goes to a residential home. That review website is local to Vigor’s address. Anyone can go on the site and create a review.

Zero info on the warehouse, location, phone number or where they’re made. A normal company in the US or Canada has to be registered with certain governmental agencies. This one has none.

OP
OP
I

ILOVELONGISLAND

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just got down to south Florida for work, when i`m stopped at lights mostly I can hear and feel the air ride pump, twords the end of its cycle it rumbles (vibrates)

Having just bought this truck i`m stumped on which way to go, replace the current air ride system? Or do the coil conversion.

Whats the best way to go? Are the front shocks air ride also ????Do I have to replace both the Shocks and the air pump?

I have no idea

thanks for the input it helps

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
It’s a choice of having your vehicle limited to a top speed of 88 mph and overriding that system. The stability system being overridden from limp mode to balls out with hacked data fed through the stabilatrac is a hand you’ll be dealt one day or passed on to the next owner (and be responsible for).

It’s just a personal choice like committing a crime. Are you going to whine if you get caught or live by “if you do the crime, you’ll do the time”. Some never have a problem with hacking resistors into stabilatrac. Some whine, ***** and say it sucks because they can’t handle Jerry rigging something with unrealistic expectations.

Gotta man up, decide and commit to your decision. Either option has a lifetime guarantee. One pains for a moment, the other is a pita for a lifetime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aracka