Leak, passenger front side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Tahoe Z71 and have been getting a wet carpet on the front passenger side. I thought it was coming from cowl, but yesterday, we had massive storm and happened to be in the truck at the time.

Water started coming in near door hinge, through carpet, under plastic trim that holds carpet down at bottom of door. I could not see any water inside (under dash, or on door). I suspect it is coming from seals, and somehow, getting under this trim piece.

All seals are in great shape and flexible. I have not yet looked to see if I am missing a piece of gasket but a quick look did not reveal anything out of the ordinary. I will compare both sides to see when I get a moment.

EDIT: Final fix/solution was due to an exterior window belt (gasket) that was too short (by 1/4") and not sealing at front of door, under mirror gasket. Water was leaking down into door, and wiring harness, and into vehicle.

Last edited:

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it's just water? could be a heater core leak.

Where are you located? Is rust an issue where you live? If so, could be the rockers rotting out under the carpet.

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no. its water. but actually, i pulled trim up the other day and it was completely under. It was parked when i first noticed it after a major rain fall. I will do the water test once it dries up and post what i find here. No rust under yet. I think it is fairly new.

Reaction score
Check the wiring lomb body to door seal even tho it looks ok it may not be seated properly... on the body side pull the seal off once off you will see a hard white oval plastic wire protector.. there will be release tabs on it I cant remember of the top of my head but I think there maybe 4... 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom to release it you get a small pocket screwdriver or whatever you may have thats equivalent and stick it between the tabs and the body and slightly pry downward on the 2 upper tabs and upward on the 2 lower tabs you can do one tab at a time only you just need to hold the oval plastic wire protector so it doesn't lock back in when releasing the other lock tabs.. once off get the black weather seal and rap it around the wire protector theres a molded grove in the weather seal and a lip on the wire protector where they mate right in together make sure once together that its seated and or mated evenly all the way around then get some clear and or black silicone and you want to apply a light film around the black weather protector where it maates with the body so that it assures a good seal.. it doesn't havr a sunroof right ?

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. I will check this. thanks.

It does have a sunroof. but that was first thing i checked. I poured water down holes and both were clear in the front. are there some in the rear of sunroof? But when I noticed water near passenger door, the truck was parked on a slight incline, with passenger side higher the driver side.

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, finally got to do water test. Water on windshield did not do anything. Sunroof seemed fine. But over passenger door, water is leaking in from just under front of Bose speaker. It seems to be coming from joint from door. I am thinking some water is leaking into door, and somehow makes its way to top of rubber seal and then leaks into cab. I took some pictures. I will try to upload as soon as i can figure out the requirements.

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally figured it out. Wish is was easier on this site to upload pictures...

1st pic shows water leaking in with door completely closed.

2nd pic shows once door is open.

3rd pic is shows where i believe water is coming from. that black rubber gasket between the plastic tan part at top, and red metal below. That gasket was wet behind it. I think it sits above, and then allows water to seep into truck.

Anyone have other ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_3550.jpg
    IMG_3550.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3553.jpg
    IMG_3553.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3552.jpg
    IMG_3552.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not coolant leak. No rust. But if it continues, rust will be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnaolo