Long cranking after sitting for a bit 04 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Stonefort

Stonefort

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know the flare nut size, but I'll take a look at my '04 and see if I can tell.

That one should work, but you can "rent" a fuel pressure gauge from some auto parts stores. Loan-a-tool. Basically you pay for it and if you take it back you get all of your money back.

Thank yall so much for the help! I will let y'all know how it goes tomorrow! (for the fuel filter). The FPR comes in next week.

OP
OP
Stonefort

Stonefort

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update - rented the fuel pressure test kit. Idle pressure is at 45. When I turn key off it drops to zero in about 10 seconds. So that's not good. I doubt that much is leaking through an injector. Hopefully the FPR fixes it. Will see soon when the part comes in.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yea, likely is not an injector and very well could be the pump but the FPR is an inexpensive attempt to fix.

OP
OP
Stonefort

Stonefort

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also on the fuel filter ( just wanted to change it because it looks original) I spent 30 bucks on the fuel disconnect tools and that special wrench....was looking at the filter location and it looks like a tough spot to wrangle out. Called my local Chevy dealer and they agreed to change it out for $20!

So that's a win. I'm gonna return the flare wrenches. Il keep the fuel disconnect tools because I am going to need them when I address the knock sensors. ( I temporarily repaired them by bypassing the bad one and splicing the good one into the harness. The ecm only looks at one at a time, so its a safe temp repair)

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry to say this, but my money is on the check valve inside the fuel pump. If it's not flooded when you try to start it you don't have a leaky injector.

On another note, it's okay to check fuel pressure while it's running, to be sure the fuel pump can keep up. The recommended test is to connect the pressure gauge, then turn the key on without starting the engine (Key On, Engine Off "KOEO"). Monitor the fuel pressure.

The Flex pumps run a little lower pressure than non-Flex for that test, spec is 48-54 psi. And it should hold relatively steady.

EDIT: you might see/smell some gas in the oil if you have a leaky injector.

OP
OP
Stonefort

Stonefort

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to say this, but my money is on the check valve inside the fuel pump.

This is correct - the regulator did not fix the problem. Going to have to replace the FP! I have been just been priming the pump a two times then cranking. Getting tired of doing that though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottLady