Long cranking after sitting for a bit 04 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did a little research and searching but still have a question. I think the fuel pressure is bleeding off causing the long start after sitting sometimes. Is the device that prevents this in the fuel pump module for my 04 Tahoe? I assume if it is I need a new fuel pump module.

If so, thinking I should stick with Ac Delco fuel pump module. Thoughts?

Thanks guys!

View attachment 259126

If you get as far as doing the fuel pump module, the FF pump is AC Delco MU2294 for your year. And if you do plan to replace it, let us know since there are a couple of related items you'll want to have on hand. Fuel tank strap bolts, tank straps if they're badly rusted, etc.

OP
OP
Stonefort

Stonefort

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Fless Ok sure will! Thanks for the suggestion and the part number for the fuel pump module. From my searching it really sounds like it's the FPR. I just ordered the ACDelco one on Rock Auto for the FF engine. Plan to do it as soon as it comes in. Looks like a really quick install. This weekend I am going to go ahead and do the fuel filter. Got an ACdelco FF fuel filter coming in at Orielly's tomorrow morning, store pick up.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds good. Have a flare nut wrench handy for that fuel filter. And the fuel line disconnect tool that slides into the other connection.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The FPR was a suggested area to look for the problem and is very inexpensive to buy and easy to replace. May not be the problem but unless he does all the other checks I was laying out it could be the problem and easy to do.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Let us know how it goes. Have you had a fuel pressure gauge on it yet to see how fast it leaks down?

OP
OP
Stonefort

Stonefort

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let us know how it goes. Have you had a fuel pressure gauge on it yet to see how fast it leaks down?

Is there a cheap fuel pressure gauge I can screw into the schrader valve on the crossover line? Something like this?

https://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-injection-pump-tester-62623.html

Sounds good. Have a flare nut wrench handy for that fuel filter. And the fuel line disconnect tool that slides into the other connection.

Do you happen to know the size on the flare nut wrench needed?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is there a cheap fuel pressure gauge I can screw into the schrader valve on the crossover line? Something like this?

https://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-injection-pump-tester-62623.html

Do you happen to know the size on the flare nut wrench needed?

I don't know the flare nut size, but I'll take a look at my '04 and see if I can tell.

That one should work, but you can "rent" a fuel pressure gauge from some auto parts stores. Loan-a-tool. Basically you pay for it and if you take it back you get all of your money back.