Looking to purchase..need help & info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DodgeDude99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m looking to purchase a ‘15-‘20 Tahoe. I tend to research the hell out of things before I buy, but I can really do a comparison on Chevys website anymore, & as my screen name suggests, I do like my Mopars so I know very little about current GM’s.

Are certain years better than others?
Besides leather, what does a LT have an LS doesn’t? And the same for LT & Premier or RST?

I don’t like chrome so it’s monochromatic for which the RST is, but if the exterior difference is just a grill swap to get it, then maybe the LT or premier is more suited.

I don’t need it for towing, I have a 4th Gen Ram diesel for that.

I’m looking for a daily/road trip vehicle.

Thanks
Shawn

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I vote to buy a 19-20. A lot of the issues with the earlier were ones were fixed by then.

If you buy a 15-17 a high mileage one [over 130K miles] would probably be better IMHO as by then any issues should be fixed by then.

I would not buy anything unless I got Full Service Records plus had a good Independent Mechanic check it out from top to bottom. But that is just me.

Welcome from Miami&Queens NY!

OP
OP
D

DodgeDude99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I actually have been looking for 40k & under mileage. I have found a few with 5-6k miles. One was red, black interior but the seats where baseball glove brown.

The other was a Hennessy special, which not only was it almost $70k, I don’t trust Hennessy.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually have been looking for 40k & under mileage. I have found a few with 5-6k miles. One was red, black interior but the seats where baseball glove brown.

The other was a Hennessy special, which not only was it almost $70k, I don’t trust Hennessy.
But you get big ponys.

OP
OP
D

DodgeDude99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What are the differences between each trim level?
Like I know the big one between the LS & LT is leather, but what else does the LT have?
LT to Premier?

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the differences between each trim level?
Like I know the big one between the LS & LT is leather, but what else does the LT have?
LT to Premier?
LT can have luxury package which gives you push button start. Heated seats heated steering wheel. Entertainment options. Premier adds options for cool seats, HUD, fancy covers for center console area, wireless charging, and magnetic ride suspension.

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also RST, Premier, and High Country open up the 6.2L option, 18-20 has 10spd transmission option as well. If you're dead set on that low mileage for what is now a previous-gen SUV, be open to expanding your search radius and travelling to see it in person.

Coveman

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! One of the biggest worry areas is the active fuel management system that many members have disabled. My neighbor is a GM master tech and has mentioned that the 8 speed transmissions have had their share of issues, the 10 speeds not-so-many (except for the strike era trucks). I still remember the caddy 4-6-8 disaster of the 80’s so I looked for a truck with the 6.0 (non-afm) and have been happy with that. Good luck!

OP
OP
D

DodgeDude99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! One of the biggest worry areas is the active fuel management system that many members have disabled. My neighbor is a GM master tech and has mentioned that the 8 speed transmissions have had their share of issues, the 10 speeds not-so-many (except for the strike era trucks). I still remember the caddy 4-6-8 disaster of the 80’s so I looked for a truck with the 6.0 (non-afm) and have been happy with that. Good luck!

Can the AFM be deactivated via a hand held tuner? (I have an ‘06 Charger that I have a Diablosport, & can turn off Dodges version of it via the tuner).

I dad had A ‘84 Caddie Eldorado with 4-6-8 motor, never had any issue with it, but I don’t think it ever switched from 8.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tylert93

Latest posts