Lower Ball Joints Recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goldwing2000

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
probably the same way as checking a ball joint, use a crow bar and see if there is any play.
I wouldn't waste my money and time on replacing just a ball joint, yes the cost is a little more up front but easier to just replace the whole control arm and be done with it forever.
a factory control arm should only have to be replaced maybe once in 300k, however rust may play a factor for some.
Have to respectfully disgree with that 300k number. My ball joints had significant play at only 143k.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have to respectfully disgree with that 300k number. My ball joints had significant play at only 143k.
I said changed once in 300k, so ya you can anticipate changing them around 160k like a variety of things that also fail at that point, such as hubs, water pump, alternator, radiator, maf, etc

jaywestfall

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
GMT400 lurker here (1998 C1500 ext cab 5.7 4L60e). Replaced entire front suspension with MOOG once and got less than 30,000 out of them. Later, replaced entire front suspension with Mevotech TTX huge improvement, but have less than 20,000 on them. Alignment is always spot on per shop, too.

Attachments

• 1998 C1500 new grill and lower lights.jpg
    1998 C1500 new grill and lower lights.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@jaywestfall Thank you for you input about the Mevotech. I used their upper TTX arms and I was impressed by the packaging but the matte silver finish of the ball joint and hardware is very strange it looks almost aluminum. What's up with that?

jaywestfall

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@jaywestfall Thank you for you input about the Mevotech. I used their upper TTX arms and I was impressed by the packaging but the matte silver finish of the ball joint and hardware is very strange it looks almost aluminum. What's up with that?
Agreed, that was my initial reaction, too. I may be wrong on this, but I believe Kryptonite and Mevotech are now both owned by the same company.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some play at 210k, probably sooner. Would chirp a tire pulling out of parking lots occasionally, but felt fine daily driving.
Mainly replaced it because of tire wear.. which I still have uneven wear due to a loose steering rack bushing.

Replaced with upper and lower MOOG CK arms, greaseable, which reminds me I should grease them.
Only a couple thousand miles at most, so it will be awhile before I can review the durability.

I did notice the old nylon balljoints were buttery smooth, and the greaseable moog feel like you are rotating a rusty bolt with pliers.
Drives fine, probably break in and get smoother, and only something you feel by hand, but still makes you think..

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About four years ago I took a survey from the guys on here about how long their control arms/ball joints lasted on the 1500s. The average came out to about 160K miles for most of the respondents.
ya that's average for a variety of things and is why you see vehicles for sale around that mileage because that's when the devil rears it's head if you were not on top of the ball already taking care of maintenance

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I did end up buying 2 Mevotech TTX arms last night, going to try and cancel the Kryptonite order it seems they are really behind anyways
My sisters new mevotech sway bar links snapped today it was only a month old I’ve never had experience with them however if your in a rush Rudy’s diesel out of Nc usually has the kryptonite stuff in stock they get it to my house in a couple days! Just like the wheel bearing was on back order but Rudy’s had it to me in 2 days
Think the ball joints are 60$ a piece it’s the same price as on the kryptonite website

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hawkeye1