Lowered my '15 LTZ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

red02chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rio, do you have any rubbing with the 305/35/24?

I got my 1/2 drop installed and I am trying to decide on wheels and tires.

I want to go with a 285/40/24 or 295/40/24 but in bit sure if it will fit.

No rubbing at all. Running 295/35 up front and 306/35 out back.

There's no way a 40 series will clear, if you want as much mets as possible run the 305/35. It's bigger then you think

Steve1081

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No rubbing at all. Running 295/35 up front and 306/35 out back.

There's no way a 40 series will clear, if you want as much mets as possible run the 305/35. It's bigger then you think

That is what I keep hearing... the 285/40 is 1/2" taller but also about 1/2" narrower so I thought it might clear without too much problem.

It only has about 1/4 more sidewall... So it probably doesn't make much difference... The tire brand would probably have more impact on ride quality and there are more options in the 305.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Yeah the brands generally ride the same, but the Pirelli Scorpion Zero are quieter and softer. They will run about $1400 for tires alone though.
Get a 305/35 tire from Nexan or Lexani and you will be good. They are cheaper tire, but are good enough. They will be about 1/2 the price.

Steve1081

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had falken tries on my q7 that were dirt cheap and they were so loud after a few thousand miles. I will never buy junk tires again. It is worth the extra money to have a decent riding tire.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Yes I have had a few customers with those same complaints on cheaper tires. I have also had complaints on the expensive ones so it goes both ways sometimes.
The Falkens you had may have been the STZ-04s. They had noise and balance issues.
That's why they are discontinued and the 5s replaced them.
Those (Falkens in general) aren't cheap tires either. Back then, they slotted right under Pirelli and Toyo in price.

Anyways, let's move this discussion to your thread so we don't swerve Jon's off topic.

OP
OP
R

red02chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is what I keep hearing... the 285/40 is 1/2" taller but also about 1/2" narrower so I thought it might clear without too much problem.

It only has about 1/4 more sidewall... So it probably doesn't make much difference... The tire brand would probably have more impact on ride quality and there are more options in the 305.

I will get lock to lock steering pics of my tahoe to show the tire clearance. Typically drop spindles reduce steering radius so you don't have rubbing issues with larger wheels. With both of us running coil relocators, we are retaining factory steering radius. I do know that these fender wells are a little more lowering friendly then the previous years.

I have ran several sets of pirelli scorpions and loved them. I go through wheels/tires so often that I switched to the cheaper nitto 420s about 2 years ago and have zero complaints. I am more the happy with the ride they offer. I don't think they have a 40 series 24" though.

What wheels are you planning on running? I think offset will determine if the 40 series is possible.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
The 420s are a pretty nice handling set of all season. They just ride a bit rough for a pricier tire. The sidewalls are a lot firmer than a Pirelli.
The Pirellis are even nicer, and have almost no particular drawbacks, outside them being too soft, and price. They wear quicker and sidewalls tend to split. My brother had them on Auto Coutures back in 07 and got 2 split sidewalls from speed bumps. Wheels were fine.

Steve1081

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fender wells on these trucks seem so massive... That is why I want to Run something a little taller. Especially since I didn't drop it too much.

I am leaning toward the 2014 sierra / 2015 yukon factory reproduction which is coming out in a few weeks in 24".

I believe it will be 9.5" and 30 or 31 offset. I am still flopping between 22 and 24 and what wheel I like...

I found this random 3d rendering online that looks like the factory reproduction wheel in a 22 or 24 size. I think it looks great while still having a "factory look"

4B1dAKe.jpg

Thanks for all the feedback with the drop and the wheel and tire fitment. I just wish I had a good tire shop nearby that would order the 285/40/24 and test for it for me. Most of the shops around here seem to be put off by ordering anything that isn't the recommended size. And test fitting from an online company isn't an option.

I'll let you guys know what I end up with.

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

The options in the 285/40/24 are Yokohama prada spec x, kumho exsta arc kl12, or toyo proxes ST2.

Any experience with any of those?

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
The options in the 285/40/24 are Yokohama prada spec x, kumho exsta arc kl12, or toyo proxes ST2.

Any experience with any of those?

The Yoks are the best tire in that size. They are smooth riding tires that really do good all year round. A family member had those on a '12 Q7, but just got the new 421Qs.
The ST2s are also about equal, but may not ride as smooth. They will also cost a bit more. I like the tread on them though if that matters to you.
The Kumhos are a complete no and I am pretty sure those Ecsta STXs are discontinued.

---------- Post added at 02:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 AM ----------

The fender on these new SUVs are large, but clearing a 40 sidewall on a 285 tire with only a +30 offset will probably not happen. You will have at least some rubbing, if not bad rubbing. I do have to install a set of wheels on a 2015 with at least a 295/35/24 to be sure though.
All my posts are based off the NNBS experience I have. On those, a 295/35/24 on a 10" rim with a +30 offset, all under an unsagged suspension, is the only way rubbing would not occur at all.
If any one of those factors were changed (like a 305 tire, a rim wider than 10", offset under +25, or an SUV with over 40,000 miles) rubbing could occur.

mhaynes772

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I will get lock to lock steering pics of my tahoe to show the tire clearance. Typically drop spindles reduce steering radius so you don't have rubbing issues with larger wheels. With both of us running coil relocators, we are retaining factory steering radius. I do know that these fender wells are a little more lowering friendly then the previous years.

I have ran several sets of pirelli scorpions and loved them. I go through wheels/tires so often that I switched to the cheaper nitto 420s about 2 years ago and have zero complaints. I am more the happy with the ride they offer. I don't think they have a 40 series 24" though.

What wheels are you planning on running? I think offset will determine if the 40 series is possible.

Hey Red02Chevy,

Love your set up. Currently I have a 2015 in the body shop getting all the Chrome blacked out and the Tahoe emblems Black Chrome. I am looking at getting some wheels and love your 24's. My question is, this Tahoe is for a friends wife and they want to try and maintain how well the Tahoe rides because they use it for long trips. How well did you maintain your ride quality with those size wheels? Any input is greatly appreciated and I saw a couple post on tires, but if you have any recommendations for tires that are good for being quiet, good ride quality and good in all weather conditions let me know. Thanks so much!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kkeesy

Latest posts