Magnetic Ride Control vs Air Ride Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

04pillows_artisan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all!

First time placing an order for a GM vehicle - I am in the midst of placing an order for either a 23 Suburban or 23 Yukon XL. Understanding Magnetic Ride Control is the standard suspension on the higher level trims and they do already ride smoothly, I was wondering if Air Ride Suspension provides an EVEN better ride quality?

A source of confusion has always been does the Air Ride Suspension replace the Magnetic Ride Control if selected as an option? Or is it an add on and works hand in hand with the Magnetic Ride Control?

Any feedback or explanation will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
My 2019 GMC Denali XL came standard with Magnetic Ride Control.

Antonm

Reaction score
So, now we are making 'short bus' digs at fellow members, huh? I've had about enough of this Facebook-type shit now.

I have a son who who rode a short bus, and I find your comments totally despicable. I have quite thick skin, but when you tread on making fun of folks who have disabilities or anyone in my family, direct or indirect, my skin becomes quite thin.

This Forum is made up of mature adults, who don't judge 'why' a member posts an observation or comment. We can, and do, respectfully disagree with each other when we feel that we should/need to, but we do it in a respectful and professional manner. We do not reduce ourselves to childish gibberish and insulting comments in this Forum. That is what Facebook and X are for, and I suggest the you give them a try.

@Fless , @soulsea

I bet you’ll never guess just how much your feelings mean to me,,, go cry in your safe space there social justice warrior.

Last edited:

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or,,, if the flat is on the front, once you have the spare tire out,,,lower the jack, and move it to the front.

Did you ride the short bus to school maybe, these aren't hard concepts or advanced logic we're talking here, pretty simple stuff that you don't seem to be grasping.

So, now we are making 'short bus' digs at fellow members, huh? I've had about enough of this Facebook-type shit now.

I have a son who who rode a short bus, and I find your comments totally despicable. I have quite thick skin, but when you tread on making fun of folks who have disabilities or anyone in my family, direct or indirect, my skin becomes quite thin.

This Forum is made up of mature adults, who don't judge 'why' a member posts an observation or comment. We can, and do, respectfully disagree with each other when we feel that we should/need to, but we do it in a respectful and professional manner. We do not reduce ourselves to childish gibberish and insulting comments in this Forum. That is what Facebook and X are for, and I suggest the you give them a try.

@Fless , @soulsea

@Joseph Garcia I just let him keep digging that hole deeper by continuing to talk/type.

Same with subject interviews - there's no real need to yell or argue with a subject/target/witness/etc. You just let them continue talking while being recorded so it can be played back later. You keep asking them clarifying questions so they become more and more locked into their story/version. It makes it harder to walk back later on when that recording shown to another audience.

Last edited:

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better question: has any auto manufacturer been able to make an Air Ride suspension that was more reliable than its traditional coil spring/strut/shock setup?

Most 18 wheelers/ class 8 trucks out there have air suspension on them, and they go for literally millions of miles, so yeah, air suspension is a proven technology that's used literally everyday on vehicles that if they don't work, cost the companies money.

Down time and cost of repairs are metrics any decent trucking company tracks, if that data showed a certain technology cost more in repairs or caused more equipment downtime, they sure as heck wouldn't use it because they only care about money, not driver comfort.

You're talking about a different Class of vehicle (Class 8) which have service life designs that are radically different from passenger vehicles.

Let me be more specific. What passenger auto manufacturer (for Class 1 to 3 vehicles - or less than a 14,000 GVWR) has been able to make an Air Ride suspension that is more reliable than its traditional coil spring/strut/shock setup?

Antonm

Reaction score
You're talking about a different Class of vehicle (Class 8) which have service life designs that are radically different from passenger vehicles.

Let me be more specific. What passenger auto manufacturer (for Class 1 to 3 vehicles - or less than a 14,000 GVWR) has been able to make an Air Ride suspension that is more reliable than its traditional coil spring/strut/shock setup?

Please present the data you have to says the traditional coil spring/ strut/ shock setup is more reliable,,,I'll wait.

Antonm

Reaction score
@Joseph Garcia I just let him keep digging that hole deeper by continuing to talk/type.

Same with subject interviews - there's no real need to yell or argue with a subject/target/witness/etc. You just let them continue talking while being recorded so it can be played back later. You keep asking them clarifying questions so they become more and more locked into their story/version. It makes it harder to walk back later on when that recording shown to another audience.

Just like you, the guy you quoted here jumps to a conclusion, without knowing damn thing, and assumes that I don't have immediate family members, that I'm solely financially responsible for, with disabilities. He just jumps up on the high horse and preaches.

As for walking back a story, what you say is absolutely true should someone what to try and walk back anything,,, Good thing for me I 100% firmly stand beside everything I've written. So just to be clear, and so you don't have to scroll back up , I believe you are both an idiot and a liar (just in case there where any doubts / questions)

Last edited:

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Please present the data you have to says the traditional coil spring/ strut/ shock setup is more reliable,,,I'll wait.

Before we begin, let's be clear. MOST people who are proponents of the Air Ride system make the argument that the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. It's certainly a valid argument; but I've never seen them make the claim that Air Ride systems for Class 1 to 3 vehicles are more reliable than their traditional spring/strut/shock configurations.

Let's begin the Googling for you:

Here are some of the results on the first page results - none (except you) make the claim that Air Ride is more reliable than spring/strut/shock configurations:

Even with the benefits of an air suspension system, Driving Tests New Zealand suggests several drawbacks. Some of these disadvantages that so and so reports include:

• The initial costs of purchasing and installing an air suspension system — air suspension can also sometimes reach three times the cost in repairs as a leaf suspension system over 10 years' time
  • Fuel overheads for running compressors for occasionally pumping air to the correct pressure
  • Fuel efficiency can suffer from the heavier weight of air suspension over the weight of leaf suspension
  • An air suspension system's vulnerability to air leaks can result in malfunctions
Some of the drawbacks of air suspension systems are because of some of the mechanical issues they can be vulnerable to. Several of the common issues with air suspension systems that can require repair include:

• Rust or moisture damage from the inside that can lead to the air struts or bags to malfunction
  • Failure of the air suspension tubing connecting the air struts or bags to the air system
  • Air fitting failure resulting from initial fitting or infrequent use
  • Compressor burn out due to air leaks in the springs or air struts from the compressor constantly engaging to maintain the proper air pressure

Air Suspension Disadvantages

1. Cost
One disadvantage of an air spring system is the cost to buy, which is higher than a traditional spring suspension system. Only luxury cars tend to have a built-in air spring system as standard. However, the cost of installation could be offset by the resale price, which is generally higher than cars with a steel spring suspension.

1. Maintenance
Another air suspension disadvantage is the cost of maintenance. In the short term, air suspension cars are reliable but tend to see longer distance travel and time on the road where frequent repairs may become necessary. Not repairing your suspension isn’t really an option; if your suspension is broken your car will tilt to one side while driving. You can replace the air spring system with a cheaper, traditional steel spring, but you would lose the known benefits of air suspension cars – so you’ll probably understand that the cost is a necessary evil.

1. Mechanical issues
Air suspension systems are also prone to mechanical issues. Your suspension may suffer malfunctions from rust or moisture damage from the inside, or an air fitting failure of the air tubing connecting to the air system. Leaks in air springs are also common and could lead to compressor burn out.

Air Suspension Disadvantages

While pneumatic suspension systems have many clear benefits, they also have a few notable drawbacks. These include:

• Expense: Air suspension systems have far more components and more expensive components than passive suspensions. This means they’re more expensive to buy in the first place and also more costly to repair and maintain.
  • Complexity: Due to the amount of components in the system and the intricate nature of how they function, working on them is more difficult and time-consuming. That complexity also makes it more difficult to diagnose the source of issues. And, in general, more parts means more things that can go wrong.
  • Lack of durability: Even as technology has improved by leaps and bounds over the last few decades, air suspensions are still relatively fragile compared to passive systems such as coilovers. The use of moving parts, computers, and flexible materials means they tend to wear out faster and are more susceptible to breaking.

For shoppers interested in a used car, the bigger drawback of the feature is maintenance costs. While air suspension is great when it works, it can be expensive to fix. And it’s not a feature you can simply forget about: If it breaks, the car can tilt to one side while moving. That said, many drivers replace broken systems with more traditional steel springs — a cheaper fix, but one that removes an important feature from the vehicle. Find a used car for sale near you

Antonm

Reaction score
Before we begin, let's be clear. MOST people who are proponents of the Air Ride system make the argument that the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. It's certainly a valid argument; but I've never seen them make the claim that Air Ride systems for Class 1 to 3 vehicles are more reliable than their traditional spring/strut/shock configurations.

Let's begin the Googling for you:

Here are some of the results on the first page results - none (except you) make the claim that Air Ride is more reliable than spring/strut/shock configurations:

Since you're such a big fan of letting people tell the story so they can't back track, please go back and site where I said that air suspensions were more reliable.

I said they were a proven technology that's used everyday, yeah they cost more, that hasn't been a topic before right now.

So, you're still an idiot, and liar, and now you try to put words in other people's mouth / misrepresent what they said,,,are you a Politician,,, because you have all the qualities of a Politician?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
starnuts28

Latest posts