Moaning when turning in 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EKJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What about u joints in the front prop shaft? Do you have worn tyres in only front or rear ?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

Jspafford

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am going to agree to disagree. When you turn with 4WD engaged, the front tires are turning at a different speed than the rear. When on snow this should not be a huge issue since the tires will have a lot less friction and can slip as needed.

However, if driving on a somewhat slippery surface and when turning the tires all have more grip than when on snow, but less than when on blacktop there is going to be a lot of stress transfered back on all the drivetrain, axleshafts, differential, driveshafts, transfercase, etc.

The CV's spin all the time, since the front end was just rebuilt and I still have a noise when in 4WD, I assume something else that spins only when in auto4wd and 4-hi is responsible for the sounds. The only other items that don't spin in 2wd and do spin in 4wd is the front driveshaft and the transfer case.

If I take the front driveshaft out, there will be no binding and or pressure on the transfer case or front diff, so I am not sure how that would help diagnose anything?

Thoughts?

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what year is yours again? i know 99-02 the front shaft still spins in 2wd no matter what, but theres not much pressure on anything..

does it do it while turning both ways, or just one way?

taylorjm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck! I hope you can figure this out because I'm not believing the "it's normal" idea either. The dealer took my front diff apart and couldn't find anything. I took it to another tranny shop, and they said the same thing. I'd really like to know what the noise is.

ImPrettySnazzy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine does this do, but I think it might have something to do with the angle at which my cv axels are at

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my truck on dry pavement will not even make a tight turn in 4hi. ive owned 3 yukons this being my third and all 3 of them did this. you should NOT be in 4hi unless there is a good amount of snow on the ground. even in some snow i still get around in 2hi. if i were you id just turn up the radio and drive

taylorjm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the research I've done, it's perfectly ok to use your 4 hi on dry pavement. Yes, you will get the binding when turning, but that's because of your front driveshafts and u joints binding up. From what I've read, the issues of having the front and rear wheels turning at different speeds, and therefore needing to be on snow in 4 hi is no longer an issue. I've heard that the clutch in the transfer case provides the slipping needed. Now, if you ask my dad, he'll tell you that you never use 4hi on dry pavement, but in his day, that was true, but he also had to go outside of the truck and manually lock the hubs before using his 4wd.

scottg918514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the exact same symptoms on my 2003 z71. I brought it to the dealer and to a transmission shop who tore apart the front differentials. They both said it was normal and everything was fine. I've owned it since it was new and I know it didn't always make this noise. I've posted on a few forums and everyone has said that after things get worn in a bit, they start to groan, and that theirs makes the same noises. I've got 110k on mine, how many miles on yours? I know of at least 5 other people with the same or higher mileage that said theirs also groans in auto and 4hi.

Same issue here, 2003. But, no need for truck to be in 4 auto or 4 Hi. It does it in 2wd. Left turn only, slow steering. I've heard culprit could be hub, bearings in front diff, or CV joint.

I did pull the upper steering shaft and it was well greased, so I don't think it is that. I guess it is time to check hub and cv joint. Rebuilding front diff might b a bit beyond my range..

djtoothowd

Reaction score
I have an 03 and mine does it as well. Man I bought it from (less than a year ago) told me he had both front hubs replaced shortly before I bought it. Im leaning toward cv axle. Never use 4wd on mine tho so im not.to worried bout it.

Mine only does it turning left btw

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2024 Tahoe Brian