Moisture out the tailpipe, sign of cracked head?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last weekend, I had the engine running in Park for about 15-20 minutes. I noticed after a while that there was a wet spot right below the tailpipe from a drip. Is this a tell tale sign of possible cracked head? My 04 Tahoe Z71 5.3 has "862" casting # heads and I haven't seen any reference to this particular head being a usual cracking candidate. Tahoe has over 250k on it, so who knows. I do have to top off the water every so often, but I also have a water pump leak that I've been watching. I will be replacing the water pump soon, but haven't done it yet so I just assumed the missing water was from the water pump weep hole, however, it now has me wondering if the moisture/drips out the tailpipe may be pointing to other, further issues. Thanks.

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My vote is no. I think it is normal. I agree with Galante. It is condensation.

Like a glass of tea. Cold on the inside, hot on the outside, the glass sweats.

Your exhaust is hot on the inside and cold on the outside.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies. I know that condensation out the tailpipe is typical. The reason I asked is because it seems to be a tad more than I have seen typically in the past. I thought I saw a post here or on GMFS about that possibly being a tell tale sign.

Is there any other test or way to know if you have a cracked head besides pulling a valve cover and possibly the rocker shaft?

Just want to make sure all the water/coolant I am loosing is from the water pump and not a bum head.

zraffz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coolant in oil? Loss of power? Bum compression?

No... Don't worry.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of those early motors had intake manifold gasket probs, make sure your oil is clean and look around ontop of the block under the plastic cover for coolant. Really though its just condensation... the more you idle in cooler weather the more you’ll make

Kelsda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Preasure test your coolant system after you fix your leaking water pump or do a leak down test through each cylinders spark plug holes,nothing to remove but spark plugs. Blown head gaskets can blow a white smoke out of tailpipe all day
What you don’t want is to hydro lock your motor if your not getting rid of it

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any other test or way to know if you have a cracked head besides pulling a valve cover and possibly the rocker shaft?

Just want to make sure all the water/coolant I am loosing is from the water pump and not a bum head.

Smell it. Don't snort your exhaust fumes, just waft some towards you until you can get a few good sniffs. You may be able to soak up some of the puddle off the concrete and smell that, but that's not quite as fun as huffing exhaust (everybody likes their own brand, don't they...). If it's sweet, it's coolant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1ippon