MPG improvements

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XxBIGxTEXxX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i know somewhere along here someone has posted this more than once but here is my turn.. hahah I need to improve my gas milage since i get 11.75 miles to the gallon.. Yes it sucks and im trying to see ** much can i improve that since parents want me to let the HOE go.. Anyways, i have a new 350 engine with about 13k on it, mod parts on tranny like shift kit/corvette servo/performance clutches, flow tech shorties(suck), K&N CAI (wants a AEM so if anyone wants to buy it just let me know.. ill let it go for a decent price since its about a year old), crank/alternator pulleys, Tune up about a year old with E3 spark plugs, dual Magnaflow exhaust with some cat backs i didnt like (want magnaflow cat backs), and i think thats about it... Needs to get BB Tune which it will be order pretty soon and i def want Efans... Now i was also thinking to get new gears but that will be like down the road after christmas since my plan is to get a 6 or 7 inch lift on it on 37 tires so if i do get gears, dont know whit which ones to go with... Other than that, thats about it..

Now do yall guys have any suggestions on how to get bette gas milage on the hoe or what have yall done to the one you own that have had better that 11.75 miles to the gallon.. Im from right outside of houston and def need some improvements...

Dlong30

Reaction score
efans and bb tune should help but your not gonna help your mileage at all with 37's. thats just not gonna happen

OP
OP
X

XxBIGxTEXxX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WEll the lift wont come till like spring of next year.. and if i do a 6 inch, im doing 35 tires.. but BB TUNE IS NEXT ON LIST AND THEN EFANS

19Yukon97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put the flex-a-lite 280 efans on about a month or two ago... They helped about 2 mpg. yea they were 550$. I love them! dont have that god awful roar when trying to merge into traffic and it keeps the motor cool with ease! greatest thing ive done with the car so far.

And with the lift and tires your not gunna get better mileage, you might be qable to get the same mileage as before... you might be able to get better if your the lucky one. once your truck goes up, wind will get ya... weight of bigger tires... Blackbear tune would be a great add-on. im gunna do that too when i get my 383 and tranny put in... google will be your friend on the research about mileage. but like alot of people say on here... if you cant afford a heavy vehicle that gets awful gas mileage, then get a prius! hah

OP
OP
X

XxBIGxTEXxX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea... The efans are going to be my next thing after the bb tune.. and im thinking about right after that, getting new gears but want to get the gears that would work for once i lift the hoe.. And i can afford gas in that thing just that parents think im spending way to much with everything that im doing to the hoe which idc but to them, they are like, "You wont get the same amount of money u invested in it when u get rid of it"

Yea i am thinking i am going to google and see whats best for improvement on that...
Thanks guys

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
I just put the flex-a-lite 280 efans on about a month or two ago... They helped about 2 mpg.

Not trying to bust on you, but 2mpg is about a 15% improvement...not sure how replacing a fan can make your entire rig 15% more fuel efficient.

I also have an efan and even though it's a cool mod, I think it's vastly overrated for our rigs...sorry don't mean to be a downer, I just see this a lot and haven't seen hard data to back it up.

trailblazr81

Reaction score
The tune could help but the biggest thing you can do is driving style. Be easy on the gas, these things have good low end torque and I can drive around just fine and never go above 2000 RPM. And thats with crappy gears and 33's. After owning numerous lifted trucks (since I live 7-8 miles from an off road park) your mileage will take a dump. That much lift and those big heavy tires will kill your mileage. Even with proper gearing. And plan on doing gearing, my cousin had a Z71 truck with 3.73's and 36's and it wasnt fun. Also is this for looks? The front IFS and the rear 10 bolt arent the best choices for wheeling with 37's.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
37's you need 4.88's.

your gas mileage will be in the single digits if its that bad now and then you lift it. mine is a little over geared (4.88's on 35's) and when it was running right i was pulling 15-16 mpg out of it lifted.

X2 on the biggest thing is your driving style. < 2000 rpm will help. but lets face it, its a full size less than good aerodynamic heavy ass truck. you gotta pay to play!

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to bust on you, but 2mpg is about a 15% improvement...not sure how replacing a fan can make your entire rig 15% more fuel efficient.

I also have an efan and even though it's a cool mod, I think it's vastly overrated for our rigs...sorry don't mean to be a downer, I just see this a lot and haven't seen hard data to back it up.

Depends where you live. Up north, fat chance. Where I live in Phoenix it is 113 here right now in the shade. When I drive around city and even HIGHWAY at over 110 F and the AC on full blast the fan is locked up all the time. So you go to downshift on the freeway while doing 65 mph and the fan is dragging 25 hp when you are at 4K rpms. So in my case, it will make maybe even 3 mpg in the summer......or more. I will find out shortly.

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently installed an MSD coil on my Tahoe and noticed a lil improvement in gas mileage