New here with my new 07...problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ProStreetCamaro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brought it to the dealer this morning and had the same thought. I watched the trans temp to see where the noise stopped and it was at about 100 degrees. I sat at the dealer for two hours for it to cool down enough to show the tech. We took a short ride and he heard it right away. He thought it was the cold knock too, but called GM just to confirm. They are having him tear it down to the lifters. Apparently GM had a problem with Eaton lifters on the 07 6.2 litre. They changed lifters in the model year, but if it is the Eaton's they will replace them. We'll see what happens from here.

Sounds like they already have a good idea as to what is causing the issue and they are going to do good by you. Let us know how it turns out. These engines are just about bullet proof and I seriously doubt it is a rod knock.

OP
OP
NJ Denali

NJ Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a call this afternoon that they were keeping the car overnight and shipping an oil pump in to replace tomorrow. I asked what other issues there were and they said none. I will chalk it up to "cold knock" and see what happens from here. While I am a car guy, I love the truck. It will be nice to have the piece of mind when it's done. Now...what to mod first?

ProStreetCamaro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a call this afternoon that they were keeping the car overnight and shipping an oil pump in to replace tomorrow. I asked what other issues there were and they said none. I will chalk it up to "cold knock" and see what happens from here. While I am a car guy, I love the truck. It will be nice to have the piece of mind when it's done. Now...what to mod first?

Uhhhh was your oil pressure low? I would have thought you would have noticed a low oil pressure reading on your gauge if it was? If it wasn't reading low then I am pretty sure a new oil pump wont do squat. If it was reading low and what you were hearing was indeed a rod knock there is NO WAY I would accept an oil pump change. I would FORCE them to install a NEW engine in the truck. If the rods were knocking then the bearings are F---ed up I GUARANTEE you that.

I stress to you if the oil pressure was low enough to have a rod knock MAKE them install a new engine or tear yours down and install all new rod and main bearings or else you are looking for trouble down the road because knocking means damage has already been done.

OP
OP
NJ Denali

NJ Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im with you, but the oil pressure was not low...at all. I watched every conceiveable measurement looking for this. I think the dealer is looking to cash in on some warranty bucks, but I won't let it go if Im not satisfied.

ProStreetCamaro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im with you, but the oil pressure was not low...at all. I watched every conceiveable measurement looking for this. I think the dealer is looking to cash in on some warranty bucks, but I won't let it go if Im not satisfied.

Ok good I just wanted to make sure you knew that. You would be surprised how many people wouldn't know that an actual rod knock like that has caused bearing damage! You say it goes away once it warms up right? If thats the case then you may have some minor piston slap. My 99 SS Camaro had BAD piston slap that never 100% went away. Drove me nuts but I just sold it a few weeks ago. Dang I miss that car already!!

OP
OP
NJ Denali

NJ Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok good I just wanted to make sure you knew that. You would be surprised how many people wouldn't know that an actual rod knock like that has caused bearing damage! You say it goes away once it warms up right? If thats the case then you may have some minor piston slap. My 99 SS Camaro had BAD piston slap that never 100% went away. Drove me nuts but I just sold it a few weeks ago. Dang I miss that car already!!
Isn't that in reverse? I would think that the worn bearing would cause rod knock. Excessive tolerance between the bearing surface and rod (whether at the crank or the wrist pin) would allow "slap"?

---------- Post added at 07:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 AM ----------

Anyway, I've thought about it overnight and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the whole thing. I am calling the service department first thing to put the brakes on this until I can get a better explanation.

OP
OP
NJ Denali

NJ Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spoke with the dealer and Tech at length this morning. According to them, GM says the noise is common on the 6.2. The fact that it is an aluminum block only amplifies a noise that we might not normally hear. GM has a series of steps that the tech has to take when this noise occurs, including:checking for the Eaton lifters and checking the oil pump screen for clogging. As th OP pushes 60+ lbs, I know that's not the issue, but GM has a pump with a different pickup screen. If they are going to pull the engine and check for rod issues, they will replace the pump while they are under there (if there are no other issues). If there are damaged bearings, I will fight for a replacement engine, but if there are simply tolerance issues they will repair/ The dealer has been great; the service manager and Tech are working with me and will allow me to inspect everything they find.
I picked the truck back up today and will bring it back in two weeks from now for them to start and they will supply a loaner. According to the tech, what I am hearing is common and he doesn't think they will find anything. We'll see, but I feel better today.

ProStreetCamaro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't that in reverse? I would think that the worn bearing would cause rod knock. Excessive tolerance between the bearing surface and rod (whether at the crank or the wrist pin) would allow "slap"?

---------- Post added at 07:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 AM ----------

Anyway, I've thought about it overnight and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the whole thing. I am calling the service department first thing to put the brakes on this until I can get a better explanation.

Piston slap starts out bad when the engine is cold and as the engine warms up the pistons expand and the piston slap starts to quiet down.

http://www.pistonslap.com/index.html

Are you sure the 6.2 is aluminum? I could have sworn the block was iron.

OP
OP
NJ Denali

NJ Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been talking rod knock, not piston slap. I guess that's the confusion.
The 2007 L92 is all aluminum and was available on both the Yukon and the Escalade.
402 hp and 413 lbs torque.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmeier6191331

Latest posts