New to the Forum, just bought an '04 Escalade EXT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alxmlr789

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just bought a 2004 Escalade EXT, 96k miles. Got a good deal on it so I pulled the trigger this afternoon. VERY VERY clean, tan interior, has some aftermarket 22"s on it, which I'm not sure I like yet, but maybe they'll grow on me.

Anyways, I was just wondering if there is a 90-100k mile tune up I should think about doing? Spark plugs, wires, anything like that.

There's a few issues I wanted to get some opinions about:

1. The steering wheel does not feel very...Tight. I turn it a little bit and the wheels dont turn until i really turn it. On the highway that can become difficult to drive. I think it may be some of the steering components that are worn, but if there is a common problem with this, feel free to chime in.

2. Shocks need replacement, I think I'm gonna go with Bilsteins, but if there's a better option please let me know.

3. I have a slight vibration over 65mph, I'm going to get the wheels and tires balanced on a roadforce, see if that fixes it.

Heres some pics, next to my other baby.
eedaf9e0.jpg
9ca64e2d.jpg
351d8614.jpg

Don't worry, I'm taking that hideous chrome trim off asap.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice looking ext! :)

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood.

I would check out the idler & pitman arms, ball joints, hub bearings, steering gear box adjustment, alignment and tire balance to make sure that everything is good and to attempt to get rid of the vibrations at 65+

As for the 100K mile service, it would pay to go through everything. Plugs, clean throttle body, clean maf sensor, change all your fluids, engine, transmission, coolant, differentials, transfer case, brake fluid, power steering, etc.

If you bight the bullet now and go ahead and catch up all the needed maintenance, your issues should be gone for the most part and you will get the most out of your Esky.

OP
OP
A

alxmlr789

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood.

I would check out the idler & pitman arms, ball joints, hub bearings, steering gear box adjustment, alignment and tire balance to make sure that everything is good and to attempt to get rid of the vibrations at 65+

As for the 100K mile service, it would pay to go through everything. Plugs, clean throttle body, clean maf sensor, change all your fluids, engine, transmission, coolant, differentials, transfer case, brake fluid, power steering, etc.

If you bight the bullet now and go ahead and catch up all the needed maintenance, your issues should be gone for the most part and you will get the most out of your Esky.

Yeah, I'm doing some research on the pitman and idler arms, definitely something I can handle myself, same as for the gearbox. Now, if i replace the idler and pitman arms, will that put more stress on the gearbox? I may just go ahead and replace that too in one shot.

As for the fluids, Is the transmission fluid something that I want to be changing, without knowing the history of it? I know on my dakota, it actually hurt the tranny to change the fluid, because it had never been changed before, and the old fluid was holding all the broken synchros and loose parts together!! lol. But, that transmission did have 180k on it.

Thanks for the quick info guys, i feel this forum will be very helpful!

alc5m

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not sure how the pitman arm is on these trucks, i just picked up a nbs hoe, but on my 96 the puller i had couldnt pull the damn thing off

idler arm is pretty straight forward, same with ball joints and tie rods, but with the steering gear box you cant turn the steering wheel if i remember right when its off or your wheel will be cocked when youre driving straight (like it was in my 96 after having a shop do the pitman arm, i was pissed, lol)

but most of the stuff isnt hard to replace just takes some time

hardest thing imo is the pitman arm and gear box, lol

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the new idler and pitman arms, etc can put added stress on an already worn gear box. Not a bad idea to go ahead and change it out too.

As for the tranny fluid, go pull the dip stick and smell it, rub it between your fingers. Although you can't tell everything, you can get a decent idea of the condition of the fluid if it smells burnt or is gritty to the touch between your fingers. If you have no more than 100K on it, I would think that a simple flush should help, not hurt.

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

I can help with instructions to flush your tranny without hurting it.

1993 sierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice looking ext how much u paid ? I am Looking in to getting one my self

OP
OP
A

alxmlr789

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nice looking ext how much u paid ? I am Looking in to getting one my self

I paid 15,600. It was on the higher end price point for an 04, but all the other ones i was looking at were pretty ripped up inside and out. This one is spotless, and i bought it from a reputable dealer, 1 owner.

I looked at a lot of '07's. The cheapest one i found was 24,995, and it was in very poor shape. I think you could find one at a little better price if you found a private owner, just be careful, lots of junk out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andraliahlee