OK to reuse thermostat housing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

InspectahDEck

Reaction score
I recently replaced my thermostat and housing using the following part:

I did not use any sealant / RTV and I have a small leak now. Would it be OK to take it off, add RTV, and reassemble or does the inside gasket need replacing now?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As I understand it the thermostat housing is somewhat specific to the water pump. Long ago I replaced my pump with an AC Delco unit, but kept the old thermo housing. The new thermostat came with a paper gasket, in addition to the rubber one. After installing just the rubber gasket, the connection leaked a little, just a minor drip. After reading the thermo instructions, I used the paper gasket, too, and that sealed it.

When changing the water pump it's best to buy the one that includes the thermostat housing so the manufacturing matches, instead of buying things piecemeal.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Is every 2000 to 2006 GMT800 with either a 4.8, 5.3 or 6.0 ALL THE SAME? Since no info was provided I personally cannot go look to see if the original Amazon provided part is a correct application.

Anyway, I hope the leak is fixed.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think they did make water pumps with slight differences. I've compared water pumps side by side and noticed. But I've never actually tried replacing the thermostat housings, so I don't know TBH.

I guess another thing to ask if the housing bolts were torqued to specs?

OP
OP
I

InspectahDEck

Reaction score
I'm going to pull it and put a new gasket on with some ultra black see if that does the trick. I recall looking up the torque specs I'm almost positive I torqued it to spec

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can never go wrong with the paper gaskets and RED rtv. GEN 1 SBC came factory with paper gaskets and never had Orings and ive never ever seen a Gen 1 water pump leak except at the weep hole or the nose at the shaft. Toss the oring if its leaking and dont put another on there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Budzy24