OnStar - Worth It?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess I'm just old & confused! If it has "no service" just how can "But I believe the system will still connect".
One & only time I used/needed OnStar = it DIDN'T WORK! Canceled it.
SiriusXM is $13/month...but I only listened to ONE channel. Canceled it.

Try pressing it today, see what it does.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I spend my safety money on what I consider to be a superior solution, IF you're one of those who venture out of cell phone range. I use a Garmin InReach with is a satellite based system and works everywhere. Or at least everywhere you can see the sky. Onstar depends on cell service, although there is a lot of confusion on that topic because GM salespeople will mislead you on that topic. I don't say that's intentional on their part because I've often found them to be misinformed on the products they sell. And that's not just a GM problem.

Onstar uses the AT&T network specifically, as well as roaming on other networks AT&T has subcontracted with. To be fair, 99% of the population are probably covered 99% of the time.

SnowBuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be fair, 99% of the population are probably covered 99% of the time.

Guess I was in the 1% broken down on the side of a mountain in WV trying to get to Snowshoe Ski Resort! That's the only reason I got it...didn't work...so cancelled it. Of course it would work if I broke down in my driveway inside the DC beltway. THAT's not why I got it.

Last edited:

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many vehicles have two types of telemetry built in, one is the on star type version that consumers use or don’t use. The other is more of like a hotline separate telemetry connection that doesn’t rely on paid for services. This is how things like on Star or emergency connectivity can work Even if you are not subscribed.
I personally don’t really like reoccurring charges every month, this is how people get sucked dry on things they hardly use.... so I probably would not subscribe to it. If you’ve never had it then you don’t know what you’re not missing....

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many vehicles have two types of telemetry built in, one is the on star type version that consumers use or don’t use. The other is more of like a hotline separate telemetry connection that doesn’t rely on paid for services. This is how things like on Star or emergency connectivity can work Even if you are not subscribed.
I personally don’t really like reoccurring charges every month, this is how people get sucked dry on things they hardly use.... so I probably would not subscribe to it. If you’ve never had it then you don’t know what you’re not missing....

Right. I believe the main advantages to onstar are the remote phone app controlled features such as lock, unlock, remote start, and whatever else it has, and perhaps the car insurance discount if and when that insurance company gets up and running.

But I bundle with my home insurance so that won't draw me in to switch vehicle coverage. I don't subscribe to onstar but I do subscribe to SiriusXM.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right. I believe the main advantages to onstar are the remote phone app controlled features such as lock, unlock, remote start, and whatever else it has, and perhaps the car insurance discount if and when that insurance company gets up and running.

But I bundle with my home insurance so that won't draw me in to switch vehicle coverage. I don't subscribe to onstar but I do subscribe to SiriusXM.

Same here, those app features should be included with your vehicle for as long as it’s basic warranty is. Not just a month or so.....that’s part of being a full featured vehicle, not some thing they just can’t continue to gouge you for, that should come with it anyway...

As far as SiriusXM goes, I was lucky enough back in the mid 2000’s to sign up for lifetime SXM and back in my era, the courts forced them to honor it for MY lifetime, not the vehicles, for as many vehicles as I have it for. That was a good buy... i’ve had it on five vehicles so far...

Beagleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As one of the other guys said, everyone will have an opinion... I have had Onstar since '04 and I CANNOT be without it, or rather I won't be without it, here in Canada where I live is in the mountains, and the cell service SUCKS in the mountains in a LOT of places... it is getting marginally better, and here in BC if no cell tower is readily near by, you may as well send a smoke signal... I was told back in the day, and I know it has changed , but a cell phone worked on a 3 meter band and Onstar was a 15 meter.... I have luckily never had to use it for myself, but I certainly have for others, who have found themselves in a pickle.... to me in my small world, it is peace of mind to know if I do end up off the road and unable to function I know Onstar will be there to help find me, and for the cell phone, mine usually has the battery just about ready to die, and for a few bucks, which is a LOT cheaper than a cell phone, it's well worth it to me, and the Onstar phone works just fine, for me at least, and that is in the mountains, it costs me 6 cents a minute to call anywhere in North America, All of Canada, USA, Mexico and Alaska included, so for ME, I will buy in...it's only a few bucks a month and you can up grade a month at a time if you decide to go on a long trip and need all the extras...... thanks for allowing me to put my story to this thread.... to my wife and i, it is well worth it.

Jeff

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be phenomenal if the onstar key fob features were free to use so as long as your vehicle was within range of a WI-FI signal that it was connected to.

I can totally understand onstar being a paid service since they use their own cellular signal and that's not free. But since my vehicle already connects to my home network, why can't I use the app to start it without subscribing? That's a jip.

gonatee

Reaction score
Wow, now u gotta pay for autostart
function!? Shame on gm!!
I was involved im a fatal head on collision on a mountain highway and onstar failed to activate. Left me stranded two hrs w a crushed person. in the middle of a dark hwy. Weeks later I started receiving onstar emails one at a time,
notifying me of failing vehicle systems.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, now u gotta pay for autostart
function!? Shame on gm!!
I was involved im a fatal head on collision on a mountain highway and onstar failed to activate. Left me stranded two hrs w a crushed person. in the middle of a dark hwy. Weeks later I started receiving onstar emails one at a time,
notifying me of failing vehicle systems.

It still works through the keyfob obviously, for free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hawkeye1