Opinions on Potential Hybrid Mods ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the part number/s for the LTZ specific side door moldings ... like this one:

picture.php

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so I got myself a set of oem LTZ side moldings, the plastic elements of which come primed ... the GM body shop wants to charge me stupid money to paint them.

Is there an easy way to match my paint and do it myself?

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The black paint would be easy enough to match but going into a local auto parts store that sells paint (O'Reillys does this) with your paint code and they could get you some that you could spray on. The question is would it be the quality you'd want? I'd got to a local body shop in your area to do it. Realistically, the job shouldn't cost you more than $100 or $150 I don't think.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mmm ... the chevy body shop quoted me $400 to paint to match, remove old moldings, clean off the adhesive, and install the new moldings.

Considering that other than the painting, removing the old moldings takes a simple heat gun and fishing line, and the new molding is pre taped, it seems to me $400 is too much no?

Or am I missing something? :think:

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes....$400 is way too much. I'd have a professional do the painting and you can do the unistall of the old stuff and reinstall of the new stuff yourself man. It's extremely easy and pretty hard to mess up.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes....$400 is way too much. I'd have a professional do the painting and you can do the unistall of the old stuff and reinstall of the new stuff yourself man. It's extremely easy and pretty hard to mess up.

Yeah I am considering doing the swap myself ... my greatest worry on that front is not the removal, I'm pretty sure I can cope with that. What worries me is getting those things lined up right after the old ones have been removed and all traces of the old adhesive gone. Getting them at the right height, proper angle in reference to the truck, and perfectly straight, all at the same time and having only one crack at it makes me really nervous. :(

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I would do is get yourself some automotive tape (what I have is green and is pretty wide but I don't remember the name of it :think:) and put it on the door along the top of the current molding before you remove the original molding. Then go through the demold process leaving the tape in place so that you know exactly where the originals were. Then placing the new moldings where the old moldings were.

If you want I can check out the name of the tape I have at home. I'm pretty sure I just got it from an auto parts store and it works great and leaves no residue behind.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should also add that the ltz moldings aren't as easy to install as the plastic moldings. Each door has two interlocking moldings (plastic and chrome trims) each with their own adhesive strips. So all that has to be accounted for when trying to line the darn things up.

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

If you want I can check out the name of the tape I have at home. I'm pretty sure I just got it from an auto parts store and it works great and leaves no residue behind.

If it's not too much trouble I'd appreciate that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skylerwayne12