OR VietVet Is Still Throwing $$$ at 2005 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy is a lot like me. I ask a lot of questions and so does he. He has the credentials, knowledge, experience and know how to do it. I shared with you what he has. That does not mean between the two of us that we can't get what is needed. He has done tunes out of that shop for over 5 years now and he has nothing but praise and 5 star reviews from his customers. If he can't do it, he will tell me but he says he can and I know he will.

As was said in another thread by @grouch after he was stolen from and he did his research to go after the guy who did it, mechanic's have a vast network of connections. My friend will reach out to them if needed. You know I ran shops for years. I had a customer come up to me one time and say he did not want a tech I assigned to his car to work on it because he saw the tech refer to a manual at one time. He said he did not want a tech working on his car that had to look in a manual. I told the guy that I did not want techs working for me that did not refer to information sources if need be. The guy did a double take and I explained that doctors have it easy. They work on two models and they talk to them. Techs work on thousands of models and years of constantly changing designs. Doctors have it way easier than techs do. By the way, my tech was looking up a torque spec.

Getting what you're looking for with the tune will be fairly easy for your guy. Doing it remotely will be your issue. I hope one or the other can get you what you're looking for.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The positive factor is that BBP has a reputation for having the tune for these rigs down to a science. The negative is getting the tune dialed in, and then again later for any changes, due to the remote tuning aspect. It's a multi-step process that can take weeks.

That's not to say your guy isn't just as knowledgeable and/or capable. The positive with him is that re-tunes would be quicker and easier. So, if you decide you want something tweaked or if you mod something (such as new gears), it'd be a matter of having him hook up his laptop and make the changes. Depending on what he'd charge you, it could be cheaper that going through BBP. The minimal cost is $100 since it takes two $50 credits to tune your rig. Once the credits are purchased, that vehicle can be tuned an unlimited number of times- no additional purchases necessary. The rest is whatever the tuner charges for their time and labor.

Due to their reputation, I was all geared up to use BBP and I even have an AutoCal. But, being an impatient caveman, I decided I needed the least input from myself in getting and modifying the tune. Transferring tune files back and forth through email and interface device(s) just wasn't in the cards for me since I knew it'd be a one-and-done thing.

BTW, a retune for a gear change would only take a few minutes. It's a matter of typing in the ratio and uploading it. They wouldn't have to modify the fuel or spark maps or anything like that. So, your buddy could do that in the time it'd take you to grab y'all a couple cold ones from the fridge.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My friend said the same thing about a quick set up if I did change gears in it. He is knowledgeable and I know he can do it. I think he already said he has some credits. If I can do the tune locally with my friend that will save the time and mileage to Idaho and back and like you @iamdub, I have very little patience when it comes to doing something on my rig.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Ok,
He said something to me that was surprising when I talked to my friend yesterday. He noticed how quiet it is inside that rig of mine. No rattles, squeaks, shudders......nothing.

He put a bug in my ear and mentioned sound deadening material that can be added to the inside of the door panels and the rear panel. A friend of his did that to his Suburban and said it is like riding in a $300k Mercedes and hearing nothing except what you want to. Has anyone here done anything like that and have input?

I put dynamat extreme on the door panels of my YD and made a big difference. It also makes the factory bose system sound even better. I liked it so much that I'm about to do my Honda Accord

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put dynamat extreme on the door panels of my YD and made a big difference. It also makes the factory bose system sound even better. I liked it so much that I'm about to do my Honda Accord

Yes- insulation makes a huge difference. My neighbor just put Peel & Seal in the doors of his new-to-him Tahoe. Midbass is noticeably better, road noise is a little quieter and the doors sound muted when closing.

Yes, I advised against using the Peel & Seal, but he's gonna do what he's gonna do. He parks outside at home and at work. This summer might get interesting.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Yes- insulation makes a huge difference. My neighbor just put Peel & Seal in the doors of his new-to-him Tahoe. Midbass is noticeably better, road noise is a little quieter and the doors sound muted when closing.

Yes, I advised against using the Peel & Seal, but he's gonna do what he's gonna do. He parks outside at home and at work. This summer might get interesting.

OMG, he is going to hate driving that Tahoe in the summer.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Need to reach out again to @915_Tahoe for help. I am trying to get Genuine GM parts for the starter and both battery cable sets. Last 8 of VIN is 5R221385.

I can only find a reman starter at RA that is AC Delco #323-1644 but I think I have the GM number for a new one and is 89018123?

Positive cable as AC Delco is 2SD79CX but the two GM numbers I came up with are 19295324 or 15372005, correct?

Negative cable as AC Delco is 2SX321A but the lone GM number I find is 15321212, correct?

I do appreciate your help every time. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vit-silvian